View Single Post
Old 11-12-2006, 01:49 AM   #22
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: 2006/11/10 - Brussels, BEL - Forest National

Well, I can't do anything but agree with most people here, however, after seeing this show I realised I'm no longer a Tool fan.

I had never seen them live, now I have, and I must say I didn't feel any of the magic I was expecting to feel. If I had seen this show 2 years ago, I probably would've thought it was the best thing that ever happened to me, back then I thought Tool was the best band in the world and nobody even came close, I still enjoy their music as much as I did back then, but now I've discovered other bands that do come close to Tool, and in many ways even are better imo.
They played the songs I like and played them flawlessly (was especially glad with Swamp Song, still think Undertow is their second best album), but that's about it. The light effects and CGI stuff on the screens was very impressive, jawdropping almost, but thinking back now, it's all a bit over the top, and I think they really need all those fancy gizmo's to keep an entire crowd entertained for almost two hours. I mean, thinking all of the fancy stuff away, what you have left is a very tight band, but one with almost zero stage presence and crowd interaction, and from what I read above, it seems like Maynard talks even less to the crowd on other shows. Justin and Adam just stand there the entire time, and Maynard is tucked away in his own little world back there on his platform, the only guy who acts like normal musicians act on stage is Danny imo. I know their act probably makes them even better live to a lot of you guys, but to me, it's just snobby. I feel like I went to a light show, not a music concert.
To me it isn't about the music anymore. I'm kinda fed up with all the anti-social, let's act like we hate the press and do things different just because we can attitude Tool has.

Aenema still is in my top 5 albums ever, and probably always will be, but I don't think I'm ever going to a Tool show again, unless for the next album, they decide to act more like musicians and less like, well... I don't like to use the word, but... douchebags.
OFFLINE |