View Single Post
chiroptera
08-02-2009, 11:28 AM

Fifth Tool show and once again, Tool did not disappoint. The venue was disappointing but Tool made up for it. Maynard was engaging and Adam in particular interacted with the crowd more than I've ever seen him. At other shows Adam has seemed more focused on just his guitar work but he seemed to really be having a good time up there last night. And Justin just shined on Schism and especially Flood. I think he's a very under-rated bassist, but playing in the same band as Danny and Adam it's easy to get overlooked.

As for the venue it WAS an outdoor concert. The lighting and graphics were incredible but the sound (especially the vocals) were very spotty at best. As for the mud, with the rain this summer I guess it was expected. But what wasn't expected -on the way home when the caked mud started to dry on me and really smell. It became very obvious it wasn't just mud but a lot of manure as well. Liberty State Park is after all, nothing more than a giant, toxic landfill and the soil they brought in to cover it obviously must have come from a dairy farm. I offended a a lot of people on the subway and then the train but there was nothing I could do about it.

And for the posters who "liked" My Bloody Valentine, what were you taking and how much did you ingest? Worst live band ever! I mean they literally (yes, LITERALLY) did a 50 minute set that consisted of one chord. I guess there were supposed to be indidvidual songs because they would stop playing every 7 to 8 minutes or so; but then the same white noise would start up again 30 seconds later. And I also think there were supposed to be lyrics because I did see them moving their lips while standing at microphones, but I didn't hear anything identifiable as a human voice. A lot of Tool fans were just making eye contact and shaking their heads in disbelief. The Barry Manilow concert I got dragged to when I was 12 was a better show.

But back to Tool, the set list was expected but they were under time constraints with APW. They made great use of the time, but I still think Jambi is just not a good choice as an opener. Adam did play part of Lost Keys, but at the beginning of Schism instead of Rosetta Stoned. I thought they were going to skip Schism when I heard that. And in Adam's intro to Aenima I thought I heard a few riff's from Prison Sex. Did anyone else catch that or was that just wishful thinking on my part?
Of course I missed most of Stinkfist because of a really nasty chick fight that broke out right in front of me. Anyone else who was about 30 feet out directly in front of Adam, what was that all about?
07/14/07 Times Union Center, Albany NY
08/01/09 APW Liberty State Park, NJ
02/01/12 Izod Center, NJ

"There is no need to believe in a supernatural force of evil. Man is quite capable of every imaginable attrocity on his own." -Joseph Conrad
Old 08-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 08.01.09 - Jersey City, NJ @ All Points West Festival

Fifth Tool show and once again, Tool did not disappoint. The venue was disappointing but Tool made up for it. Maynard was engaging and Adam in particular interacted with the crowd more than I've ever seen him. At other shows Adam has seemed more focused on just his guitar work but he seemed to really be having a good time up there last night. And Justin just shined on Schism and especially Flood. I think he's a very under-rated bassist, but playing in the same band as Danny and Adam it's easy to get overlooked.

As for the venue it WAS an outdoor concert. The lighting and graphics were incredible but the sound (especially the vocals) were very spotty at best. As for the mud, with the rain this summer I guess it was expected. But what wasn't expected -on the way home when the caked mud started to dry on me and really smell. It became very obvious it wasn't just mud but a lot of manure as well. Liberty State Park is after all, nothing more than a giant, toxic landfill and the soil they brought in to cover it obviously must have come from a dairy farm. I offended a a lot of people on the subway and then the train but there was nothing I could do about it.

And for the posters who "liked" My Bloody Valentine, what were you taking and how much did you ingest? Worst live band ever! I mean they literally (yes, LITERALLY) did a 50 minute set that consisted of one chord. I guess there were supposed to be indidvidual songs because they would stop playing every 7 to 8 minutes or so; but then the same white noise would start up again 30 seconds later. And I also think there were supposed to be lyrics because I did see them moving their lips while standing at microphones, but I didn't hear anything identifiable as a human voice. A lot of Tool fans were just making eye contact and shaking their heads in disbelief. The Barry Manilow concert I got dragged to when I was 12 was a better show.

But back to Tool, the set list was expected but they were under time constraints with APW. They made great use of the time, but I still think Jambi is just not a good choice as an opener. Adam did play part of Lost Keys, but at the beginning of Schism instead of Rosetta Stoned. I thought they were going to skip Schism when I heard that. And in Adam's intro to Aenima I thought I heard a few riff's from Prison Sex. Did anyone else catch that or was that just wishful thinking on my part?
Of course I missed most of Stinkfist because of a really nasty chick fight that broke out right in front of me. Anyone else who was about 30 feet out directly in front of Adam, what was that all about?
07/14/07 Times Union Center, Albany NY
08/01/09 APW Liberty State Park, NJ
02/01/12 Izod Center, NJ

"There is no need to believe in a supernatural force of evil. Man is quite capable of every imaginable attrocity on his own." -Joseph Conrad
OFFLINE |