View Single Post
spacemonkeyadb's Avatar spacemonkeyadb
08-15-2006, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Fae Verte
High is the way, but our eyes are upon the ground

I only pray heaven knows when to urge you out
I'm not against the 1st one here (lives/eyes). Could be either IMO.

I will disagree with the 2nd one though (urge). I can definitely hear a final "-ft" for "lift", and I think it makes a lot more sense.

Quote:
Ignorant, flippant in the congregation

This little light of mine, it gives your past unto me
"Flippant" has been suggested before, and criticised on the grounds that it is an adjective and not a noun. I can kinda hear an initial "fl-" sound too, but I'm prepared to put that down to distortion. "Flippant" here would be like saying "ignorant angry in the congregation" - just weird grammar.

Next, I agree that "it gives your past unto me" fits more or less equally well for sound, but I find this to be an awkward lyric, and infinitely less powerful than "the gift you passed on to me".
Old 08-15-2006, 04:02 AM   #481
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6
Re: 04 - 10,000 Days (Wings pt 2) lyrics

Quote:
High is the way, but our eyes are upon the ground

I only pray heaven knows when to urge you out
I'm not against the 1st one here (lives/eyes). Could be either IMO.

I will disagree with the 2nd one though (urge). I can definitely hear a final "-ft" for "lift", and I think it makes a lot more sense.

Quote:
Ignorant, flippant in the congregation

This little light of mine, it gives your past unto me
"Flippant" has been suggested before, and criticised on the grounds that it is an adjective and not a noun. I can kinda hear an initial "fl-" sound too, but I'm prepared to put that down to distortion. "Flippant" here would be like saying "ignorant angry in the congregation" - just weird grammar.

Next, I agree that "it gives your past unto me" fits more or less equally well for sound, but I find this to be an awkward lyric, and infinitely less powerful than "the gift you passed on to me".