Thread: Surround Sound
View Single Post
hushypushy's Avatar hushypushy
05-28-2006, 06:50 PM

find a friend with 5.1 and check it out! it's fun.

by the way, to the people who said that the album cannot be intended to be in 5.1....that's actually incorrect. it IS possible, yet highly unlikely.

Pro Logic II uses a matrix to seperate channels. it can do it from any stereo audio source, it just uses a set matrix.

however, there are plenty of videogames that specifically say DOLBY PROLOGIC II on them (a lot of Gamecube and PS2 games). basically, these games contain "flags" in the stereo audio. basically, in a stereo source, the center channel is created out of the similarities between the L and R channels. there are certain "flags" (i dont know a better way to describe it, sorry) that are able to seperate the front and rear sounds from each L and R channel. so it's not true discrete 5.1 sound, but yes, it can create somewhat of a "real" surround sound.

so could Tool have done that with 10,000 Days? implemented certain flags? it's very possible---check out the threads with people saying the guitar appears on each side, not in the very center. it's possible that the way they mixed it is conducive to being upmuxed by Pro Logic II...

but is that a logical thing for them to do when they could actually release a 5.1 mix (dual disc for example)? is it likely that they actually did that? do i think they did that? no, not at all.
Old 05-28-2006, 06:50 PM   #22
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988
Re: Surround Sound

find a friend with 5.1 and check it out! it's fun.

by the way, to the people who said that the album cannot be intended to be in 5.1....that's actually incorrect. it IS possible, yet highly unlikely.

Pro Logic II uses a matrix to seperate channels. it can do it from any stereo audio source, it just uses a set matrix.

however, there are plenty of videogames that specifically say DOLBY PROLOGIC II on them (a lot of Gamecube and PS2 games). basically, these games contain "flags" in the stereo audio. basically, in a stereo source, the center channel is created out of the similarities between the L and R channels. there are certain "flags" (i dont know a better way to describe it, sorry) that are able to seperate the front and rear sounds from each L and R channel. so it's not true discrete 5.1 sound, but yes, it can create somewhat of a "real" surround sound.

so could Tool have done that with 10,000 Days? implemented certain flags? it's very possible---check out the threads with people saying the guitar appears on each side, not in the very center. it's possible that the way they mixed it is conducive to being upmuxed by Pro Logic II...

but is that a logical thing for them to do when they could actually release a 5.1 mix (dual disc for example)? is it likely that they actually did that? do i think they did that? no, not at all.