View Single Post
implandnoises's Avatar implandnoises
05-13-2006, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2and46
Christians always try to pound a square peg into a round hole. Yes...Maynard has made LOTS of christian/biblical references in his lyrics throughout TOOL's career. THIS DOESN'T MAKE HIM A DEVOUT BELIEVER IN CHRIST!! Anyone ever listen to Lateralus? It's thick with spiritual references, but expressing spiritual beliefs does not make one christian.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that Maynard has turned his life over to Jesus. It didn't seem to affect the music as far as I can tell. Maynard also speaks about how man has destroyed the environment. Does this make him an environmental wacko? You can't dissect everything he states down to the letter. Again...he lives in Sedona!! Anyone ever been there? I have (my honeymoon just after Lateralus came out). It's a mecca for new-age, alternative spiritual beliefs. Christ freaks would be uncomfortable there.
I am sorry, I think I am arguing a moot point and that may have lead you to misunderstand me. If I was to use all logic in an attempt to judge someone's belief system from their presented lyrics then I would say "Of course the man is not a Christian, he might believe in something that involves Christ somewhere along the line along with many other religious figures, especially ones from the east, new age, numerology etc etc." But I do not wish to contend the subject of Maynard's beliefs, I wish to point out that it doesn't matter.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:56 AM   #99
Banned.

Bincount™: 1157
Re: From Maynards Own Mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2and46
Christians always try to pound a square peg into a round hole. Yes...Maynard has made LOTS of christian/biblical references in his lyrics throughout TOOL's career. THIS DOESN'T MAKE HIM A DEVOUT BELIEVER IN CHRIST!! Anyone ever listen to Lateralus? It's thick with spiritual references, but expressing spiritual beliefs does not make one christian.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that Maynard has turned his life over to Jesus. It didn't seem to affect the music as far as I can tell. Maynard also speaks about how man has destroyed the environment. Does this make him an environmental wacko? You can't dissect everything he states down to the letter. Again...he lives in Sedona!! Anyone ever been there? I have (my honeymoon just after Lateralus came out). It's a mecca for new-age, alternative spiritual beliefs. Christ freaks would be uncomfortable there.
I am sorry, I think I am arguing a moot point and that may have lead you to misunderstand me. If I was to use all logic in an attempt to judge someone's belief system from their presented lyrics then I would say "Of course the man is not a Christian, he might believe in something that involves Christ somewhere along the line along with many other religious figures, especially ones from the east, new age, numerology etc etc." But I do not wish to contend the subject of Maynard's beliefs, I wish to point out that it doesn't matter.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote