View Single Post
Old 05-07-2003, 11:55 AM   #23
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Just read your post, Tant, and it is the most relevant yet. That is an intriguing twist on it... but I think the key to your idea is that "In a sense, it (one inidividual consciousness) isn't completely lost, it lives on" through affecting others. Well, if that is the one mind that we all are, I'd say it's not that inspiring of a concept... not like the grandiose sweeping one mind I feel Maynard's lyrics suggest in the song.

I mean, sure, there is a ripple effect of others upon my own consciousness, to a greater or lesser degree depending on their closeness to me. But the further you go, the less of an effect... in any way that we can know, anyway. Theoretically, the billions who preceeded you and I still touch upon us somehow through a collective unconscious... is that the one mind, Jung's archetypes and all that? I am willing to allow for that, but note that it is quite a different conception of "all one mind" than some here have suggested, as all being a part of "God" or whatever.

Not to mention that, yes indeed, people's impressions of you may be distorted, and your rich individual conscious mind IS lost. I must go for now... thanks for moving this forward, though.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote