View Single Post
Old 10-02-2006, 09:30 AM   #79
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/30 - Washington D.C. - Verizon Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
Junior, congratulations on ten years of great lighting work.

Here's a question for you. Since you get a perspective of the show that most of us don't, in your opinion, What was the most elaborate TOOL stage set up?

My personal favorite was the second N. American Leg (2002). The current setup seems like a great idea (floor projections), but when you see it it's only okay. Or maybe I'm just missing the great visuals that are usually behind the band, not on the jumbotron above.

I liked the 2002 tour a lot.
I do appreciate the differences that the current tour contains, however.
It allows for 2 very different experiences. If you are on the floor you don't get the video experience as much, but you get some other benefits. If you are high up in the seats you get a cooler experience than you would normally.
Mostly it's just good that Tool aren't afraid of trying something radically different for their shows. Tool have done the same "big screen behind them" look for a lot of tours, and this is quite a departure from that. It could turn out that we go back to something more like that in the future. Hard to say right now. This isn't the last leg of this tour, anyway, so things will probably change again.
From my location at the show (on the floor about 100' from the stage) I don't really see any of the video on the stage deck, but I do see the 6' wall behind them, and occassionally the scoreboard (when we use it). From the pictures I've seen from high up the stage looks pretty cool, though.
OFFLINE |