View Single Post
Old 01-28-2007, 09:15 PM   #66
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 52
Re: 2007/01/24 - Sydney, AUS - Entertainment Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by trasht View Post
people in the front few seats were probably the BIGGEST fans, like myself, who snapped up the decent seats, not freebies through work. people don't stand in the seats because, as someone has previously mentioned, if you wanted to stand for the whole thing, you would have just purchased GA tickets instead and not potentially annoyed other people. to say people were sitting because they aren't into the band or the energy of the show is ridiculous. if think you'll find a common thread here (and in future review posts of the sydney BDO and melbourne concerts) is the lack of energy comes right from maynard himself. although i enjoyed the concert and certain parts blew me away, the level of energy was certainly lacking compared to many previous concerts i've been to and having a 'front man' who looks like he would rather be elsewhere than on stage and actually have to SING, may have something to do with it.
Well, not always. Quite often at larger venues the better seats will be allocated to people who work for the venue/label/etc or go to companies who deal with the venue someone. speaking from experience, I got a front row seat for Tool in 2001 through the company my father was working for and I distinctly remember sitting in a group of people who obviously had little knowledge of the band. (Frustrating as those tickets could have gone to friends who missed out!)
Hence my thoughts that maybe those people were there because they could go, not because they really wanted to go.

Just compared to people around me at the back of the floor I was surprised that some people were looking a big sluggish nearby. You can sit and be into the band, but a lot of people looked like they were going to nod off in their seats. *shrug* anyway, each to their own. Actually knowing lots of Tool fans maybe they were all stoned! *JOKE*

Maynard's never really been a hugely energetic frontman anyway. he has improved from past tours, at least he wiggles around and waves his hat on stage now. lol. I always find festival performances from most major bands lacking anyway. something about the big stage and open air can turn even a great performance into eh.

Last edited by white horse; 01-28-2007 at 09:29 PM..
OFFLINE |