Thread: Maynard
View Single Post
young-pilgrim's Avatar young-pilgrim
07-19-2006, 07:31 AM

Oh and just to inspire a little thought in those of you who subscribe to the "We have to know Maynard's singular meaning! We have to follow Maynard's one true teaching!!" school;

"think for yourselves, question authority"

If there is one definite, asbolute meaning to each and every Tool song, one clearly defined and set in stone world view that is present in all this enigmatic songwriting, how do you know that the man hasn't put it out there specifically so that you can bear witness to it, ponder it, and then say "Hang on a minute, I disagree!"? How do you know that the reason he's upset that people "don't get it" isn't because people try and figure out exactly what the songs mean to HIM and then accept that as all the songs are? If I created art to make people think for themselves, to make them push their own boundaries, I'd be pretty upset if they just sat there and tried to figure out what the art meant to ME and then moved on. I'd feel like I'd wasted a damn lot of time.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:31 AM   #242
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Maynard

Oh and just to inspire a little thought in those of you who subscribe to the "We have to know Maynard's singular meaning! We have to follow Maynard's one true teaching!!" school;

"think for yourselves, question authority"

If there is one definite, asbolute meaning to each and every Tool song, one clearly defined and set in stone world view that is present in all this enigmatic songwriting, how do you know that the man hasn't put it out there specifically so that you can bear witness to it, ponder it, and then say "Hang on a minute, I disagree!"? How do you know that the reason he's upset that people "don't get it" isn't because people try and figure out exactly what the songs mean to HIM and then accept that as all the songs are? If I created art to make people think for themselves, to make them push their own boundaries, I'd be pretty upset if they just sat there and tried to figure out what the art meant to ME and then moved on. I'd feel like I'd wasted a damn lot of time.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote