View Single Post
godhenry
02-15-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff View Post
NOW THAT WAS A PROPER TOOL SHOW.... 10th row dead center.

Ah the joys of Camden. Streets blocked off... Avon Barksdale and Omar Little from The Wire shooting at each other in the streets, stray dogs and cats that have reverted back to the wild pack life, crack hookers with penises... and Tool. This was somewhere around my 25th show or so since 97... gotta go back and get a count... and it ranks right up there with the best of them. Put it this way... it was the only show in the 10k Days era that hearkened back to the pre-10k days era. First off, Maynard was perfect. He wasn't Maynard from 97 or 02, make no mistake this was still 2012 Maynard... no more screaming... but he was completely on point tonight and was awesome. He delivered professional, beautiful vocals that, while not the same as previous years' madness, were equal to his previous work. That doesn't happen for him (and us) as often any more. He was up in the mix, and his work on Pushit was absolutely stunning. Bravo Rev Maynard. As for the rest of the band... I've never seen Adam animated at all... until tonight. Was that Adam getting some crowd love while standing on a monitor? Did he headbang (slightly) during the Schism intro jam? Yes and yes. He really is the MVP of Tool and makes them what they are. He is less of a guitar player and more of a painter dialing in audio colors all the while capable of decapitating you with a power chord in a flash. Incredible. Danny Carey is the best drummer in the world. His solo flashes always remind me of the greats of jazz in it's hey day. No one compares to his taste and technical ability. Even by DC standards, he had a great night and was pulling out all the stops. Justin never ceases to amaze me. His approach to the bass is so goddamn... left of center... he's less a part of a rhythm section (though he handles that impeccably) and more a musical entity all his own yet he fits right in with his band. Incredible.

The crowd was awesome. A proper Philly rock crowd. Even the dipshits with striped white shirts who dressed for the Jersey Shore instead of a Tool show were totally into it and respectful of fellow concert-goers during the quiet parts of Intension. A drastically different atmosphere than the East Rutherford show... see my review for that show for more.

If you saw this show you didn't see Tool at their all time best (their prime has past) but you did see the best band in the world at their best NOW... they don't get better than that. As MJK said, Merry Christmas....
well said, my friend.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #26
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 38
Re: 01.29.2012 - Camden, NJ @ Susquehanna Bank Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff View Post
NOW THAT WAS A PROPER TOOL SHOW.... 10th row dead center.

Ah the joys of Camden. Streets blocked off... Avon Barksdale and Omar Little from The Wire shooting at each other in the streets, stray dogs and cats that have reverted back to the wild pack life, crack hookers with penises... and Tool. This was somewhere around my 25th show or so since 97... gotta go back and get a count... and it ranks right up there with the best of them. Put it this way... it was the only show in the 10k Days era that hearkened back to the pre-10k days era. First off, Maynard was perfect. He wasn't Maynard from 97 or 02, make no mistake this was still 2012 Maynard... no more screaming... but he was completely on point tonight and was awesome. He delivered professional, beautiful vocals that, while not the same as previous years' madness, were equal to his previous work. That doesn't happen for him (and us) as often any more. He was up in the mix, and his work on Pushit was absolutely stunning. Bravo Rev Maynard. As for the rest of the band... I've never seen Adam animated at all... until tonight. Was that Adam getting some crowd love while standing on a monitor? Did he headbang (slightly) during the Schism intro jam? Yes and yes. He really is the MVP of Tool and makes them what they are. He is less of a guitar player and more of a painter dialing in audio colors all the while capable of decapitating you with a power chord in a flash. Incredible. Danny Carey is the best drummer in the world. His solo flashes always remind me of the greats of jazz in it's hey day. No one compares to his taste and technical ability. Even by DC standards, he had a great night and was pulling out all the stops. Justin never ceases to amaze me. His approach to the bass is so goddamn... left of center... he's less a part of a rhythm section (though he handles that impeccably) and more a musical entity all his own yet he fits right in with his band. Incredible.

The crowd was awesome. A proper Philly rock crowd. Even the dipshits with striped white shirts who dressed for the Jersey Shore instead of a Tool show were totally into it and respectful of fellow concert-goers during the quiet parts of Intension. A drastically different atmosphere than the East Rutherford show... see my review for that show for more.

If you saw this show you didn't see Tool at their all time best (their prime has past) but you did see the best band in the world at their best NOW... they don't get better than that. As MJK said, Merry Christmas....
well said, my friend.