View Single Post
kidshaman
01-23-2012, 07:02 AM

I first saw the guys play in KC back in high school, 2003 or 2004 Lateralus tour I believe. Totally virgin ears, too - I'd never even sat down and listened to an entire album. Needless to say, my cherry was fully-popped.

Seen them maybe 6 times since, even took a road-trip from TX to CA to see them open the 10,000 days tour at Coachella. Still, I think the Jan. 21st show even trumped that concert, hands down. Our-door venues are great and all, but I feel like TOOL really shines in a more intimate kind of setting. You need a space where you're able to soak up as much of the intricate sound as possible, and be completely entranced by the visuals as well. Verizon Theatre was perfect for that. Lots of pre-show bitching from people about them not playing at the AA Center downtown which seats 15,000+ people during concerts, but the sound is absolute shit by comparison.

As for the Visuals - they used a lot of art I hadn't seen since that very first concert in 2003, and it blew me away - again. Completely transcendent spiritual journey, from the murky depths to the soaring heights and round and round again. Also bought the Jan 20-21 posters, which fit together, and they're printed on scaled paper - best money I've spent on artwork in a long while.

QUESTION. Near the end of the show (wish I could remember which song, I was trancing out hard), a bright gold and green mandala symbol was projected behind Danny that grew bigger, and rotated around. I've never seen it before. If ANYONE has a picture of that mandala sign or knows anything about it, let loose your secrets!
Old 01-23-2012, 07:02 AM   #21
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 01.21.2012 - Dallas, TX @ Verizon Theatre

I first saw the guys play in KC back in high school, 2003 or 2004 Lateralus tour I believe. Totally virgin ears, too - I'd never even sat down and listened to an entire album. Needless to say, my cherry was fully-popped.

Seen them maybe 6 times since, even took a road-trip from TX to CA to see them open the 10,000 days tour at Coachella. Still, I think the Jan. 21st show even trumped that concert, hands down. Our-door venues are great and all, but I feel like TOOL really shines in a more intimate kind of setting. You need a space where you're able to soak up as much of the intricate sound as possible, and be completely entranced by the visuals as well. Verizon Theatre was perfect for that. Lots of pre-show bitching from people about them not playing at the AA Center downtown which seats 15,000+ people during concerts, but the sound is absolute shit by comparison.

As for the Visuals - they used a lot of art I hadn't seen since that very first concert in 2003, and it blew me away - again. Completely transcendent spiritual journey, from the murky depths to the soaring heights and round and round again. Also bought the Jan 20-21 posters, which fit together, and they're printed on scaled paper - best money I've spent on artwork in a long while.

QUESTION. Near the end of the show (wish I could remember which song, I was trancing out hard), a bright gold and green mandala symbol was projected behind Danny that grew bigger, and rotated around. I've never seen it before. If ANYONE has a picture of that mandala sign or knows anything about it, let loose your secrets!
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote