View Single Post
Old 05-11-2006, 09:27 AM   #30
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/05/10 - Denver, CO - Temple Buell Theatre

Tool has been my favorite band for over 10 years now, and I was so excited to see them in concert, but the best part of the show wasn't even Tool. The crowd was absolutely DEAFENING during the little "intermission", it was amazing. Then when everyone spilled out onto the streets and were STILL screaming and applauding...I don't know, I found that really moving.

Anyway, it was an excellent show. I was up in the Balcony Section E, was a little worried about the seats when I bought them since I'd never been to the Temple Buell, but they were amazing, there really isn't a bad seat in the house. The acoustics were absolutely incredible in there, I think my ears are still ringing.

Highlights for me were:

Jambi (incredibly moving song, you can really feel it live)
The Pot (wow, this is actually one of my least favorite songs on 10,000 Days but it absolutely owned live)
Schism (another surprise, my least favorite song on Lateralus but the climax was breathtaking)
Lateralus (best performance of the night, the energy was amazing during the "spiral out" section)

Maynard was funny and entrancing as usual, but Danny was the real star for me tonight. He is an absolute animal, and on his birthday no less!

There were only a few cons really. Rosetta Stoned just didn't work for me live, I love it on the album, but I just didn't feel it last night (that's just me though). Also like many others I wish they had played a few songs they didn't (Reflection, Pushit, 10,000 Days), but that's not a big complaint, just me being a greedy Tool fan. Also to all the assholes who wouldn't stop screaming when the band didn't come out at exactly 7:30...I'm not even sure why you came to the show, just relax, take it all in, and enjoy the moment next time.

Anyway, my only real complaintis that it was almost TOO loud. I know that sounds lame, but I could hardly hear Maynard over the music for many songs. The crazy acoustics in the Buell probably contributed to that. Most of my favorite Tool songs (H., Reflection, Parabol/a, etc.) are more lyrically intensive, just so you see where I'm coming from. But really, I think the crowd made up for a lot of that. Tool is all about energy and emotion to me, and everyone personified those emotions last night.

All in all, my second Tool show was definitely better than my first (I saw them in 2001 at the ampitheatre in Mansfield, Maynard had a cold, it was raining, the sound sucked, and I was late, so not a tough choice there). I hope everyone who didn't make it in gets to see them when they come back this summer. It sucked seeing how many people were outside that couldn't get tickets, when I'm rich I'll buy some of you tickets to the next Tool tour!
OFFLINE |