Thread: snare drum on
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2006, 11:38 AM   #6
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: snare drum on

Yeah, I drum, and if you practice the motion like any other thing about drumming, it becomes easy enough to simply flip the snares on in between beats. How fast you can do it depends on how much you practice and how good you are at it. (Not to be a prick if you know this, but the snares are turned on by a tiny fip-switch kinda thing on the side of the drum, it brings them up to where they touch the head so you hear them, or lowers them so they don't vibrate when you hit it) Danny, master drummer that he is, does it all the time no problem. There are some snare-on parts on 10kd, but he has been using them less and less with each album. The first track alone has snares on most of the time. You can hear them best(I think) when danny does that fill about 2:40 into the song. It's right after the "you all need it too, don't lie" and before "why can't we just admit it". The accents (what you hear best) are things of two notes each decending down the toms, but in between each of those notes you can hear ghost snares on the off-beats, with a really loose snary sound. Listen for it, hope it helps. Most of the time it's hard to distinguish between snares on and off in Tool songs anyway, 'cause the delicate snare sound gets buried in the mix when there's a lot going on. Now, if anyone could tell me what the hell the difference between Opiate/Undertow snare sound and later albums is, I could die happy...Tuning? Recording? Different drum? all three?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote