View Single Post
Muladhara's Avatar Muladhara
06-22-2006, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staticfactory
How exactly do you draw out a D? Oh, and at the same time, have it go "rrrrr".
You do it exactly like Maynard's done it in the song, obviously.

Quote:
I would much rather it be "head" but I insist that it's "hair". The term "be out your hair" is very common (as in, I'll get out of your hair) but to tell someone that they must be "out their hair" is odd, I agree. More odd than "Jam bi eyes"? Probably not. (No, I don't advocate "Jam bi eyes".)

Is it possible that he's not saying "You musta been out your hair/head", rather "You must want me out your hair"?
No, because there's a distinct "bin" sound after "Musta".

It's head man, seriously.

Quote:
If it's simply a matter of poor vocal phrasing (for whatever islander effect Maynard is trying to relay) then I have the right and ability to just shake my head and wonder what happened to Maynard's strong signature phrasing.
Go ahead.

Quote:
I believe it's obvious he's saying "dead". Would it not make sense for him to say "HEAD" with the same phrasing and pronounciation as "DEAD" or would that just be too easy?
It's his song, he can sing it how he likes.

Quote:
I find it funny that you use "common phrases" as an argument for "hair" vs "head", but then turn around and suggest a completely uncommon phrase (fatty finger) against a phrase (mighty finger) that is not only extremely common, but also extremely relevant to the tone of the song.
A person with 'fat fingers' is more likely to make a mistake when typing, missing the intended target of their chubby aim and instead mashing the keyboard like a gigantic sausage fencer. I think this could be a metaphor for this song:

"You're just throwing accusations around without being careful about who you're throwing them at."

Or it could just be an insult, calling the person doing the accusing fat.

Why does 'mighty fingers' make sense? Unless, all of a sudden the word 'mighty' means something other than 'powerful', then I'm missing what you're getting at because nowhere in this song is he saying the accuser is powerful.

I suppose he 'could' be using 'mighty' in an ironic way, but we'd have no way of knowing that and he doesn't sing it in an ironic way, so I'm sticking with 'fatty finger' which is far more common than 'mighty finger'. I've heard the phrase "fat fingers" often, whereas I've only heard the phrase "mighty finger" in reference to this song.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:06 AM   #676
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5
Re: 05 - The Pot lyrics

Quote:
How exactly do you draw out a D? Oh, and at the same time, have it go "rrrrr".
You do it exactly like Maynard's done it in the song, obviously.

Quote:
I would much rather it be "head" but I insist that it's "hair". The term "be out your hair" is very common (as in, I'll get out of your hair) but to tell someone that they must be "out their hair" is odd, I agree. More odd than "Jam bi eyes"? Probably not. (No, I don't advocate "Jam bi eyes".)

Is it possible that he's not saying "You musta been out your hair/head", rather "You must want me out your hair"?
No, because there's a distinct "bin" sound after "Musta".

It's head man, seriously.

Quote:
If it's simply a matter of poor vocal phrasing (for whatever islander effect Maynard is trying to relay) then I have the right and ability to just shake my head and wonder what happened to Maynard's strong signature phrasing.
Go ahead.

Quote:
I believe it's obvious he's saying "dead". Would it not make sense for him to say "HEAD" with the same phrasing and pronounciation as "DEAD" or would that just be too easy?
It's his song, he can sing it how he likes.

Quote:
I find it funny that you use "common phrases" as an argument for "hair" vs "head", but then turn around and suggest a completely uncommon phrase (fatty finger) against a phrase (mighty finger) that is not only extremely common, but also extremely relevant to the tone of the song.
A person with 'fat fingers' is more likely to make a mistake when typing, missing the intended target of their chubby aim and instead mashing the keyboard like a gigantic sausage fencer. I think this could be a metaphor for this song:

"You're just throwing accusations around without being careful about who you're throwing them at."

Or it could just be an insult, calling the person doing the accusing fat.

Why does 'mighty fingers' make sense? Unless, all of a sudden the word 'mighty' means something other than 'powerful', then I'm missing what you're getting at because nowhere in this song is he saying the accuser is powerful.

I suppose he 'could' be using 'mighty' in an ironic way, but we'd have no way of knowing that and he doesn't sing it in an ironic way, so I'm sticking with 'fatty finger' which is far more common than 'mighty finger'. I've heard the phrase "fat fingers" often, whereas I've only heard the phrase "mighty finger" in reference to this song.