View Single Post
Staticfactory's Avatar Staticfactory
06-21-2006, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muladhara
He doesn't he sings head, the d is drawn out and sounds like an 'r' though.
How exactly do you draw out a D? Oh, and at the same time, have it go "rrrrr".

Quote:
"Out of your head" is a common phrase.
"Out of your hair" is not.
I would much rather it be "head" but I insist that it's "hair". The term "be out your hair" is very common (as in, I'll get out of your hair) but to tell someone that they must be "out their hair" is odd, I agree. More odd than "Jam bi eyes"? Probably not. (No, I don't advocate "Jam bi eyes".)

Is it possible that he's not saying "You musta been out your hair/head", rather "You must want me out your hair"?

If it's simply a matter of poor vocal phrasing (for whatever islander effect Maynard is trying to relay) then I have the right and ability to just shake my head and wonder what happened to Maynard's strong signature phrasing.

Quote:
Are you arguing that he sings "dare" instead of dead?
I believe it's obvious he's saying "dead". Would it not make sense for him to say "HEAD" with the same phrasing and pronounciation as "DEAD" or would that just be too easy?

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's "fatty". yes I know there's an 'm' sounds and all that crap but singers often put other letters in front of words to help them vocalise the word properly.
I find it funny that you use "common phrases" as an argument for "hair" vs "head", but then turn around and suggest a completely uncommon phrase (fatty finger) against a phrase (mighty finger) that is not only extremely common, but also extremely relevant to the tone of the song.

Last edited by Staticfactory; 06-21-2006 at 12:14 PM..
Old 06-21-2006, 11:59 AM   #675
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12
Re: 05 - The Pot lyrics

Quote:
He doesn't he sings head, the d is drawn out and sounds like an 'r' though.
How exactly do you draw out a D? Oh, and at the same time, have it go "rrrrr".

Quote:
"Out of your head" is a common phrase.
"Out of your hair" is not.
I would much rather it be "head" but I insist that it's "hair". The term "be out your hair" is very common (as in, I'll get out of your hair) but to tell someone that they must be "out their hair" is odd, I agree. More odd than "Jam bi eyes"? Probably not. (No, I don't advocate "Jam bi eyes".)

Is it possible that he's not saying "You musta been out your hair/head", rather "You must want me out your hair"?

If it's simply a matter of poor vocal phrasing (for whatever islander effect Maynard is trying to relay) then I have the right and ability to just shake my head and wonder what happened to Maynard's strong signature phrasing.

Quote:
Are you arguing that he sings "dare" instead of dead?
I believe it's obvious he's saying "dead". Would it not make sense for him to say "HEAD" with the same phrasing and pronounciation as "DEAD" or would that just be too easy?

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's "fatty". yes I know there's an 'm' sounds and all that crap but singers often put other letters in front of words to help them vocalise the word properly.
I find it funny that you use "common phrases" as an argument for "hair" vs "head", but then turn around and suggest a completely uncommon phrase (fatty finger) against a phrase (mighty finger) that is not only extremely common, but also extremely relevant to the tone of the song.

Last edited by Staticfactory; 06-21-2006 at 12:14 PM..
OFFLINE |