View Single Post
UFOtofu's Avatar UFOtofu
06-15-2006, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrent21
Very interesting thought; I see this song as a poke at Dubya and the state of our nation under Dubya; I can see that some people here are unwilling to accept this but that's probably part of the reason they've purposely kept it vague enough for other interpretations. They want to make a point but not come right out and alienate a good portion of their fan base, after all they are probably not averse to selling records and tickets to people from all sides of the fence. Plus why "date" the song. But the mirror line at 2:40 he just says, "mirror show me, what's the difference." Nothing's impossible but I doubt the line later becomes "mirror 4-year". If the purpose of using "mirror" is to refer to the 4-year terms rather than the "liar/lawyer" reflections, it should be there both times, shouldn't it?
It certainly could be there both times, but I'm not one to say it should be. Subtle changes in lyrics to broaden the scope of a song are something I think MJK is golden at. As for the "mirror 4-year", I think of it as referencing the controversy of the 2 elections Bush won. Hanging chads, over-seas votes, burying minority votes, blah, blah, blah, in addition to tasks he's accomplished during his terms that will always be met with contradiction (such is the job of the pres). But perhaps to put it more simply, "If you thought the first term was stinky, you're in for another!" As always, IMO.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:44 AM   #655

Bincount™: 24
Re: Lyrics

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrent21
Very interesting thought; I see this song as a poke at Dubya and the state of our nation under Dubya; I can see that some people here are unwilling to accept this but that's probably part of the reason they've purposely kept it vague enough for other interpretations. They want to make a point but not come right out and alienate a good portion of their fan base, after all they are probably not averse to selling records and tickets to people from all sides of the fence. Plus why "date" the song. But the mirror line at 2:40 he just says, "mirror show me, what's the difference." Nothing's impossible but I doubt the line later becomes "mirror 4-year". If the purpose of using "mirror" is to refer to the 4-year terms rather than the "liar/lawyer" reflections, it should be there both times, shouldn't it?
It certainly could be there both times, but I'm not one to say it should be. Subtle changes in lyrics to broaden the scope of a song are something I think MJK is golden at. As for the "mirror 4-year", I think of it as referencing the controversy of the 2 elections Bush won. Hanging chads, over-seas votes, burying minority votes, blah, blah, blah, in addition to tasks he's accomplished during his terms that will always be met with contradiction (such is the job of the pres). But perhaps to put it more simply, "If you thought the first term was stinky, you're in for another!" As always, IMO.
OFFLINE |