Thread: Maynard
View Single Post
ThreeDeviations's Avatar ThreeDeviations
06-08-2006, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion
I definitely see this song as Maynard's personal outlook on his position and his audience. Basically, he's heralded as some kind of savior, even though people always seem to confuse or misinterpret what he says, or not listen to him at all.

Rosetta Stoned refers to the fact that people take information and make it their own, and frequently become misguided; therefore, we all speak in some coded language to each other. Kind of like that scene in Waking Life that refers to people in communication. One of us says "love" and both people seem to know what the other person means, when they really don't.

This song is about the failure of human communication. It's like we're on drugs or something. We fail to interpret meaning.
Agreed....

bellamadia- What you say might be true. There probably are real quotes from what the guy said. If you read the thread from the beginning, you'd see that I don't totally discount the drug aspect. Obviously there are many references. BUT THAT'S NOT what the song MEANS. It MIGHT BE ABOUT a bad trip and alien abduction for most the song. But that's not what the song MEANS.

The climax, as someone said earlier.... "stands alone" in the song.

Champion said it well in the previous post, too.

But take what you want out of it... that's what this shit is all about.

Last edited by ThreeDeviations; 06-08-2006 at 11:39 AM..
Old 06-08-2006, 11:33 AM   #119
On Probation

Bincount™: 0
Re: Maynard

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion
I definitely see this song as Maynard's personal outlook on his position and his audience. Basically, he's heralded as some kind of savior, even though people always seem to confuse or misinterpret what he says, or not listen to him at all.

Rosetta Stoned refers to the fact that people take information and make it their own, and frequently become misguided; therefore, we all speak in some coded language to each other. Kind of like that scene in Waking Life that refers to people in communication. One of us says "love" and both people seem to know what the other person means, when they really don't.

This song is about the failure of human communication. It's like we're on drugs or something. We fail to interpret meaning.
Agreed....

bellamadia- What you say might be true. There probably are real quotes from what the guy said. If you read the thread from the beginning, you'd see that I don't totally discount the drug aspect. Obviously there are many references. BUT THAT'S NOT what the song MEANS. It MIGHT BE ABOUT a bad trip and alien abduction for most the song. But that's not what the song MEANS.

The climax, as someone said earlier.... "stands alone" in the song.

Champion said it well in the previous post, too.

But take what you want out of it... that's what this shit is all about.

Last edited by ThreeDeviations; 06-08-2006 at 11:39 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote