Thread: Maynard
View Single Post
tbrent21's Avatar tbrent21
06-02-2006, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony.stacks
If Tool wanted us to know what this song was about, why it was written and who it's about, they would have told us. They didn't, so we must fend for ourselves and derive our own meaning.

This is the very nature of art.

Good point; moreover, taking an idea and then making it more vague and harder to pin down is also the nature of art as good business. They don't want to date the material so that it won't sell in the future, particularly when they are delivering messages with seemingly political overtones. (Not so much this song, but certainly The Pot and Right in Two from this album.)
Old 06-02-2006, 08:10 PM   #112
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Maynard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony.stacks
If Tool wanted us to know what this song was about, why it was written and who it's about, they would have told us. They didn't, so we must fend for ourselves and derive our own meaning.

This is the very nature of art.

Good point; moreover, taking an idea and then making it more vague and harder to pin down is also the nature of art as good business. They don't want to date the material so that it won't sell in the future, particularly when they are delivering messages with seemingly political overtones. (Not so much this song, but certainly The Pot and Right in Two from this album.)