Thread: Maynard
View Single Post
tony.stacks's Avatar tony.stacks
06-02-2006, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDeviations
pivotal digit- " I think both are right. All is right , and who cares what Maynard means ? It's about what "You" think"

Fuck that. There's an intended meaning to the song. If you want to "personalize" the meaning to justify whatever issues you have... fine, go ahead.

That's not what I do. I try to determine what he actually intended when he sat down and wrote the song.
How's that workin' out for ya? It might be easier if you had some type of direct telepathic link to Maynard's brain.

Of course there is one "true" meaning of the song, but most likely, only four people know what it is and we will never know so what's the point of speculating anyways?

Art does not come with an instruction manual.

If Tool wanted us to know what this song was about, why it was written and who it's about, they would have told us. They didn't, so we must fend for ourselves and derive our own meaning.

This is the very nature of art. Sure, some things are more obvious than others and it's easier to get a sense of what the artists intentions were, but this is hardly the case with Tool's music.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:46 AM   #105
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Maynard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDeviations
pivotal digit- " I think both are right. All is right , and who cares what Maynard means ? It's about what "You" think"

Fuck that. There's an intended meaning to the song. If you want to "personalize" the meaning to justify whatever issues you have... fine, go ahead.

That's not what I do. I try to determine what he actually intended when he sat down and wrote the song.
How's that workin' out for ya? It might be easier if you had some type of direct telepathic link to Maynard's brain.

Of course there is one "true" meaning of the song, but most likely, only four people know what it is and we will never know so what's the point of speculating anyways?

Art does not come with an instruction manual.

If Tool wanted us to know what this song was about, why it was written and who it's about, they would have told us. They didn't, so we must fend for ourselves and derive our own meaning.

This is the very nature of art. Sure, some things are more obvious than others and it's easier to get a sense of what the artists intentions were, but this is hardly the case with Tool's music.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote