Thread: Maynard
View Single Post
Staticfactory's Avatar Staticfactory
06-02-2006, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDeviations
Song is about how Maynard perceives everyone... fans and society in general.. and he's losing patience.

Uses the alien abduction thing.. as a clever way of saying he's the "chosen one" to deliver messages to people...

He's saying... nothing changes in people regardless of what I say.. and it never will. It's a burden trying to help people see or understand... yet I still do it... and nothing ever changes. "Born to bear"... he feels some obligation...

"Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.
Such a heavy burden now to be the One
Born to bear and read to all the details of our ending,
To write it down for all the world to see." That's Maynard speaking to you. The real point to the song.

"But I forgot my pen" Maynard saying that's our pathetic reply/mentality to what he's offered.. (nothing soaks in with people... rolls off their back)

"Shit the bed again." = we continue to not get it... over and over- regardless how many times he says it.

then Maynard says "Typical...." rather sarcastically.

and we don't know... and won't know...
he's conceding to self that he'll never make a siginificant impact because people just don't get it.
I would have to disagree with this idea, although it was well delivered.

The reason: Maynard has said on many occasions that he's simply writing what the music makes him feel. These aren't HIS songs or HIS messages to communicate to anyone... he's simply bleeding out some words that the music makes him feel.

I really can't see how that could equate to him thinking that he has some sort of divine knowledge. He's not naive. He's against the same shit any person with common sense is against and he's got his own belief systems. It would be rather bold of him to figure himself for a prophet, and I think he would probably scoff at the suggestion.

We all wonder why, as brothers and sisters (mankind), we kill each other and fight and wander through this 'holy gift' with such negativity and distain. Just because Maynard is writing lyrics around this idea, and presenting his thoughts on the ideal, doesn't make him 'the chosen one'. It simply makes him another artist with a point of view.

I think we should all forget about trying to derive meaning from the words and start feeling it through the music.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:43 AM   #101
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12
Re: Maynard's patience wearing thin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDeviations
Song is about how Maynard perceives everyone... fans and society in general.. and he's losing patience.

Uses the alien abduction thing.. as a clever way of saying he's the "chosen one" to deliver messages to people...

He's saying... nothing changes in people regardless of what I say.. and it never will. It's a burden trying to help people see or understand... yet I still do it... and nothing ever changes. "Born to bear"... he feels some obligation...

"Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.
Such a heavy burden now to be the One
Born to bear and read to all the details of our ending,
To write it down for all the world to see." That's Maynard speaking to you. The real point to the song.

"But I forgot my pen" Maynard saying that's our pathetic reply/mentality to what he's offered.. (nothing soaks in with people... rolls off their back)

"Shit the bed again." = we continue to not get it... over and over- regardless how many times he says it.

then Maynard says "Typical...." rather sarcastically.

and we don't know... and won't know...
he's conceding to self that he'll never make a siginificant impact because people just don't get it.
I would have to disagree with this idea, although it was well delivered.

The reason: Maynard has said on many occasions that he's simply writing what the music makes him feel. These aren't HIS songs or HIS messages to communicate to anyone... he's simply bleeding out some words that the music makes him feel.

I really can't see how that could equate to him thinking that he has some sort of divine knowledge. He's not naive. He's against the same shit any person with common sense is against and he's got his own belief systems. It would be rather bold of him to figure himself for a prophet, and I think he would probably scoff at the suggestion.

We all wonder why, as brothers and sisters (mankind), we kill each other and fight and wander through this 'holy gift' with such negativity and distain. Just because Maynard is writing lyrics around this idea, and presenting his thoughts on the ideal, doesn't make him 'the chosen one'. It simply makes him another artist with a point of view.

I think we should all forget about trying to derive meaning from the words and start feeling it through the music.