View Single Post
Freshspence
07-28-2009, 09:21 AM

16th show. definitely towards bottom of list in terms of quality. on floor, slightly off center to Maynard/Adam side. about 10 people deep. i actually thought sound quality was good from where i was at, and i actually heard maynard better than past few shows. but acoustics obviously vary with location.

i am pissed about the set list. i avoided these forums since 7/17 to try out the 'surprise' factor. unfortunately i was only surprised to hear the same show i saw 7 times in 2006/2007. aenima was nice to hear again (last i heard it live was vegas april show in 2007 if my memory serves).

to me, its just a big waste of Tool's time and talent to not vary the setlists. they have such a great catalogue to pull from, and the talent to either do covers or re-work some songs to make it different. even the extended schism and stinkfist (while awesome) are getting old. i dont see how the boys arent bored doing the same thing night in and night out. even the interludes are f-ing identical every night. or at least not different enough that i think its fun for adam to doodle aroudn on his synth machine thingy.

finally, my thoughts on the reasons on unchanging setlists: 1) agree with above that maynard has checked out of tool. hopefully temporarily, but whatever the reason, it seems he's lost the drive. these shows now feel like he's doing it solely out of respect and owing it to Adam, Danny, and Justin. certainly not giving much to the fans. so im thinking these setlists were a comprimise, whereby he wants the safe songs which he's used to doing and dont challenge him too much. 2) they are too tied down to the visual aspects. i love the visuals, and always thought that put Tool over the top from a live concert perspective. but i go to concerts to hear live music. but now the visuals are dominating the timing, pacing, and order of the show. everything is in sync b/w the audio and visual, and leaving no room for flexibility. i understand they want us to see the full 'production' as they intended when they organize the show. but as a longtime fan, id vote for stripped down visuals, and have these brilliant musicians put their talents to work with some improvisation, covers, rarities, re-works, etc. just feels like a waste to have them methodically do the same thing every night. and honestly adam looks mostly bored the entire time. justin and danny seem to love whatever's going on.

and kanaduh, im with you on the poster. being on floor i didnt want to risk getting it messed up during show, so i waited and had same result. except i didnt pay $100 for a $25.....yet. but ill get my CLT one early thats for sure.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:21 AM   #25
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.27.09 - Duluth, GA @ Gwinnett Arena

16th show. definitely towards bottom of list in terms of quality. on floor, slightly off center to Maynard/Adam side. about 10 people deep. i actually thought sound quality was good from where i was at, and i actually heard maynard better than past few shows. but acoustics obviously vary with location.

i am pissed about the set list. i avoided these forums since 7/17 to try out the 'surprise' factor. unfortunately i was only surprised to hear the same show i saw 7 times in 2006/2007. aenima was nice to hear again (last i heard it live was vegas april show in 2007 if my memory serves).

to me, its just a big waste of Tool's time and talent to not vary the setlists. they have such a great catalogue to pull from, and the talent to either do covers or re-work some songs to make it different. even the extended schism and stinkfist (while awesome) are getting old. i dont see how the boys arent bored doing the same thing night in and night out. even the interludes are f-ing identical every night. or at least not different enough that i think its fun for adam to doodle aroudn on his synth machine thingy.

finally, my thoughts on the reasons on unchanging setlists: 1) agree with above that maynard has checked out of tool. hopefully temporarily, but whatever the reason, it seems he's lost the drive. these shows now feel like he's doing it solely out of respect and owing it to Adam, Danny, and Justin. certainly not giving much to the fans. so im thinking these setlists were a comprimise, whereby he wants the safe songs which he's used to doing and dont challenge him too much. 2) they are too tied down to the visual aspects. i love the visuals, and always thought that put Tool over the top from a live concert perspective. but i go to concerts to hear live music. but now the visuals are dominating the timing, pacing, and order of the show. everything is in sync b/w the audio and visual, and leaving no room for flexibility. i understand they want us to see the full 'production' as they intended when they organize the show. but as a longtime fan, id vote for stripped down visuals, and have these brilliant musicians put their talents to work with some improvisation, covers, rarities, re-works, etc. just feels like a waste to have them methodically do the same thing every night. and honestly adam looks mostly bored the entire time. justin and danny seem to love whatever's going on.

and kanaduh, im with you on the poster. being on floor i didnt want to risk getting it messed up during show, so i waited and had same result. except i didnt pay $100 for a $25.....yet. but ill get my CLT one early thats for sure.
OFFLINE |