View Single Post
mikeyinatl
07-28-2009, 08:46 AM

Fourth Tool show in my life. Absolutely the worst.

Terrible mixing...which I'll blame partly on a very lame venue (although it did sound better in '07 at the same joint). The only thing worse than the acoustics was the f'd up job at getting traffic out of the parking lot.

I was sitting side stage ten rows up from mjk. He did not want to be seen (as usual). He did not want to be heard (which was new). He just plain did not want to be there. Granted, the music is powerful, but it doesn't need to drown out the vocals completely. And I think that is HIS choice. Maybe he doesn't do Mondays well? Or maybe it is time to find a new singer? Maybe they can hold a special Tool edition of American Idol?

The band was good, but not exactly "tight." The technical difficulties (and some artistic flubs) are inexcusable this many dates into a show that they perform exactly the same every night.

I have been to over 500 concerts in my life since the late 60s. In my old age, there are few bands around for whom I will drag my wrinkled old ass to see more than once. Tool was one of them. Maybe not anymore? Or could it be that I, like mjk, just don't do Mondays well?

Last edited by mikeyinatl; 07-28-2009 at 08:52 AM..
Old 07-28-2009, 08:46 AM   #22
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.27.09 - Duluth, GA @ Gwinnett Arena

Fourth Tool show in my life. Absolutely the worst.

Terrible mixing...which I'll blame partly on a very lame venue (although it did sound better in '07 at the same joint). The only thing worse than the acoustics was the f'd up job at getting traffic out of the parking lot.

I was sitting side stage ten rows up from mjk. He did not want to be seen (as usual). He did not want to be heard (which was new). He just plain did not want to be there. Granted, the music is powerful, but it doesn't need to drown out the vocals completely. And I think that is HIS choice. Maybe he doesn't do Mondays well? Or maybe it is time to find a new singer? Maybe they can hold a special Tool edition of American Idol?

The band was good, but not exactly "tight." The technical difficulties (and some artistic flubs) are inexcusable this many dates into a show that they perform exactly the same every night.

I have been to over 500 concerts in my life since the late 60s. In my old age, there are few bands around for whom I will drag my wrinkled old ass to see more than once. Tool was one of them. Maybe not anymore? Or could it be that I, like mjk, just don't do Mondays well?

Last edited by mikeyinatl; 07-28-2009 at 08:52 AM..
OFFLINE |