View Single Post
spiral2spiral's Avatar spiral2spiral
01-26-2011, 02:38 PM

Few days later but figured I should add my $0.02 to the discussion.

A very strange vibe.
This was my first time seeing Tool in Brisbane (4 times in Sydney, once in Melbourne thus far) and let me say, I don't know if it was a once off or not, but the crowd was wonderful. And by wonderful, I mean relatively subdued and respectful.

Ten people deep from the barrier, right in front of Justin and there was... Serenity. Sure, odd bouts of head banging and lots of sing alongs, but all restrained, respectful. Tooo many times in Sydney I've had to put up with moshers and thrashers at Tool. If you're moshing at Tool, you're missing the point.

So *THANK YOU* Brisbane for giving this jaded Sydneysider faith again, and for being conducive to a wonderful, intimate, surreal vibe, quite unlike any of my previous Tool experiences. I take back at least half of the bad things I've ever said about your state ;)

Justin seems to be REALLY enjoying himself this tour, I agree with whoever said he's becoming more "rock". Love it. And LOVE his monster backing vocals to YL.
Perhaps we'll see him take a more notable backing vocalist role as MJK's voice "matures" (Read - Weakens increasingly with age)

But at least MJK has a sense of humor about it. During the dropped final line of Vicarious, love his "hand puppet talk" mimicking all the singing along. Bless you, Maynard!

Not enough love for the Orion jam during Lateralus. A wonderfully unexpected joy.

Downside for the night was having someone ruin for me the fact that they were opening with Third Eye, and being told to expect You Lied (I fucking HATE spoilers)

Overall, I'd put this show at 7/10 on the Tool scale. They're weren't at their greatest, but they were still damn fucking good, and that's a damn sight better then most bands can ever hope to be.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #27
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 01.24.11 - Brisbane @ Entertainment Center

Few days later but figured I should add my $0.02 to the discussion.

A very strange vibe.
This was my first time seeing Tool in Brisbane (4 times in Sydney, once in Melbourne thus far) and let me say, I don't know if it was a once off or not, but the crowd was wonderful. And by wonderful, I mean relatively subdued and respectful.

Ten people deep from the barrier, right in front of Justin and there was... Serenity. Sure, odd bouts of head banging and lots of sing alongs, but all restrained, respectful. Tooo many times in Sydney I've had to put up with moshers and thrashers at Tool. If you're moshing at Tool, you're missing the point.

So *THANK YOU* Brisbane for giving this jaded Sydneysider faith again, and for being conducive to a wonderful, intimate, surreal vibe, quite unlike any of my previous Tool experiences. I take back at least half of the bad things I've ever said about your state ;)

Justin seems to be REALLY enjoying himself this tour, I agree with whoever said he's becoming more "rock". Love it. And LOVE his monster backing vocals to YL.
Perhaps we'll see him take a more notable backing vocalist role as MJK's voice "matures" (Read - Weakens increasingly with age)

But at least MJK has a sense of humor about it. During the dropped final line of Vicarious, love his "hand puppet talk" mimicking all the singing along. Bless you, Maynard!

Not enough love for the Orion jam during Lateralus. A wonderfully unexpected joy.

Downside for the night was having someone ruin for me the fact that they were opening with Third Eye, and being told to expect You Lied (I fucking HATE spoilers)

Overall, I'd put this show at 7/10 on the Tool scale. They're weren't at their greatest, but they were still damn fucking good, and that's a damn sight better then most bands can ever hope to be.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote