View Single Post
erazorhead's Avatar erazorhead
01-24-2011, 08:27 PM

I also missed third eye last night due to getting there right on time thanks to the email. Stupid pricks, if I hadn't seen it the night before I would have been even more annoyed.

A few thoughts:

Jambi actually sounded very good last night, it just sounded like mush at the BDO set, a song that suffers without perfect sound. The sound last night was at least 1000 x better than the idiotic BDO

Totally adore the new Lateralus extension, very atypical guitar for tool and so damn tight! I think that some of the set has become a bit stale from all the touring, but that bit was so disciplined and immediate, the way they sound when they have new material to play.

Intension into Right In Two was superb, and really Danny's time to shine, QLD has missed out on most of the longer 10000 days numbers, so that one was a welcome addition. Flood the night before was monstrous, so I was shitty about losing that one from this set. You Lied was a cool addition, hearing tool at their most Melvins-y.

Love the Aenema themed set list they are using at the moment. Definately my favourite era for them, so book ending the set list with Third Eye and Stinkfist is the right thing by me. I hoped they would just drop Stinkfist from the set after playing it at every show since '96 (probably) but it operates very well as a closer, and was performed very well.

GRIPES: Vicarious - I am so over it, and Maynard sings less and less of it every time. I think if he's going to treat the song that way then the boys can rip out Triad or something.

Artwork - love how the visuals for each song transport you into the world of the album it came from, in the sense that each era of Tool has a distinctive visual style to accompany the music. The biggest let down for me has been the continuing (and continuing ... and continuing) collaboration between Alex Grey and the band. Adore the Lateralus artwork, but they needed to pick someone different to illustrate 10000 days. The recent era feels visually uninspiring since its just like alex grey but different. Basically, I want them to move past Grey's transcendental spirit world enlightenment mumbo jumbo and go for something darker and more in tune with their current vibe.

All in all, a very satisfying show, unmeasurable leagues above the shit '07 BDO gig, this one gets close to the 2002 Brizzy gig. I would recommend this tour to folk everywhere.

Last edited by erazorhead; 01-24-2011 at 08:28 PM..
Old 01-24-2011, 08:27 PM   #14
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 35
Re: 01.24.11 - Brisbane @ Entertainment Center

I also missed third eye last night due to getting there right on time thanks to the email. Stupid pricks, if I hadn't seen it the night before I would have been even more annoyed.

A few thoughts:

Jambi actually sounded very good last night, it just sounded like mush at the BDO set, a song that suffers without perfect sound. The sound last night was at least 1000 x better than the idiotic BDO

Totally adore the new Lateralus extension, very atypical guitar for tool and so damn tight! I think that some of the set has become a bit stale from all the touring, but that bit was so disciplined and immediate, the way they sound when they have new material to play.

Intension into Right In Two was superb, and really Danny's time to shine, QLD has missed out on most of the longer 10000 days numbers, so that one was a welcome addition. Flood the night before was monstrous, so I was shitty about losing that one from this set. You Lied was a cool addition, hearing tool at their most Melvins-y.

Love the Aenema themed set list they are using at the moment. Definately my favourite era for them, so book ending the set list with Third Eye and Stinkfist is the right thing by me. I hoped they would just drop Stinkfist from the set after playing it at every show since '96 (probably) but it operates very well as a closer, and was performed very well.

GRIPES: Vicarious - I am so over it, and Maynard sings less and less of it every time. I think if he's going to treat the song that way then the boys can rip out Triad or something.

Artwork - love how the visuals for each song transport you into the world of the album it came from, in the sense that each era of Tool has a distinctive visual style to accompany the music. The biggest let down for me has been the continuing (and continuing ... and continuing) collaboration between Alex Grey and the band. Adore the Lateralus artwork, but they needed to pick someone different to illustrate 10000 days. The recent era feels visually uninspiring since its just like alex grey but different. Basically, I want them to move past Grey's transcendental spirit world enlightenment mumbo jumbo and go for something darker and more in tune with their current vibe.

All in all, a very satisfying show, unmeasurable leagues above the shit '07 BDO gig, this one gets close to the 2002 Brizzy gig. I would recommend this tour to folk everywhere.

Last edited by erazorhead; 01-24-2011 at 08:28 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote