View Single Post
Old 06-25-2006, 01:06 PM   #60
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 177
Re: 2006/06/24 - Katowice, POL - Spodek Arena

REPLY TO POST #58

I understand, rattkin, the lyrics may not seem positive if you take them LITERALLY, but read the sentence again:

"You all know how positive the overall message of TOOL's music is"

The OVERALL message.

This implies that:

1. I'm not referring to just the lyrics of one album.

2. I beleive that even though they have dubbed this their "blues album" the lyrics require us to READ BETWEEN THE LINES.

Maynard even says it in Aenima, a song that some people might take as violent and horrific until they understand the message it carries. The might say "What? so yeah, there's something wrong with that place so you think the best solution is for it to be put out of existence? Just "flush" it down, is that the answer to all the bad things there like the junkies and the lust for money and the cult fanatics like Hubbard and the superficial things peope care too much about like their morning Latte and their contract and their car? Wow, Maynard, you have a problem! you're violent and angry, you want to deal with stuff by destroying it and making it disappear!"

This is a way of looking at the lyrics LITERALLY.

Then Maynard comes along and says this:

"Don't just call me pessimist. Try and read between the lines."

Therefore, I gather he doesn't really accept this as the proper method to rid LA of the evil that embraces it, he is merely hoping for change, and sometimes people seek violent methods to carry out a plan, hence the praying for rain which would lead to tidal waves, but that's like someone who gets angry at someone who just pissed them off and says: "Oh yeah? Well fuck you, I hope you get hit by an 18-wheeler, asshole!" when what he really meant was "Damn, dude, you really got me angry, why would you say saomething like that? It really got to me...".

Get my point?

Aside from that, even if I were to talk about just that one album, 10 000 DAYS does, in my opinion, put forward a positive message OVERALL.

Yes, sure, Vicarious and Right in Two both talk about certain negative phenomena, but to me, they wouldn't just write a song about something negative and say "Look how bad some things are."

The true intention in my opinion is more like: "Do you see how bad some things are? Now THINK about it."

Thanks for the input, I hope I explained my point thoroughly.