View Single Post
Old 09-20-2006, 11:25 PM   #126
On Probation

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/18 - Chicago, IL - Allstate Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat404 View Post

Good show, however, compared to Lateralus (2002 I think, Wings Stadium, Kalamazoo, Michigan) This show was weak.
EXACTLY. I was at that show as well.... by far the best show I've ever seen was Wings Stadium in 02... Kalamazoo, Michigan. (I said it was the 97 show earlier on this thread... but I meant the 02 show)

Fatass dirty dollar

How and why they thought the lasers were a good idea for this tour... I don't know. Maybe it's saving them money... because the ambiance for this tour is comical relative to 02.. unfortunately, it's more than that though. The intensity, passion, focus, desire... and the sound quality that results is lacking.
So the lasers are merely the tip of an iceberg.

and if you're going to tell me the lasers cost more than doing the big screens... hence, the higher ticket cost... well, don't bother.

It's more of a performance now driven by green.. than a true desire to express and perform their art.

If it's such a drag, and so tedious playing every night, give yourself a couple-few nights in between playing..
It might help having more time between shows in respect to playing longer too. 90 minutes? The 02 show if I recall correctly was pushing 3 hours... and it seemed like 10 minutes... because it was that special.

I'd pay more money if that's what it took in order to get the old feeling back... but unfortunately, I get the distinct feeling that even if the old screens were back... or some new thoughtful setup altogether... I wouldn't be overwhelmed with the realization that I just felt and witnessed something truly amazing. Point is.. it's not the peripheral stuff that makes Tool special.. it's the individuals, their conviction, and the music that results from it. Not a fucking laser.

I have tickets to see them again in Michigan on Friday... and I'm not even that fired up to see them if it's going to be comparable to Chicago.

Sure, if I had never seen them before, and didn't know what they were (and still are) truly capable of doing... then I'm sure I'd go to Friday's show and come to this page and say how unbelievable the show was. Unfortunately, I know better.

Those of you who think the show now is at the same level as it was back 5 years ago... you're wrong. 10 years ago it was better too... because it was raw and all about the music.. nothing compromised.

It's a show now. it's a performance now.

it used to be a wonder.. now it just causes it.

like they feel they need to entertain with something other than the music?

Tool has never been about gimmicks, cutting corners or hypocrisy... apparently until now.

Lasers. They add nothing. But they distract and detract plenty.

The sad reality is I suggest they play half as many shows and charge twice as much if that's what it takes to keep the music sacred.

I apologize for this post being a jumbled mess... but what I said is very real.. and I don't apologize for any of that.

Last edited by ThreeDeviations; 09-20-2006 at 11:30 PM..
OFFLINE |