View Single Post
Old 09-09-2006, 11:26 AM   #35
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 16
Re: 2006/09/08 - Los Angeles, CA - Staples Center

First Tool show. I wish I would've seen them earlier on this tour so the addition of "Wings" would have been more powerful. I guess I did miss out from the Thursday show.

I was seated in row 12 of section 301, so I was way up. It wasn't bad at all, even when Isis played. Couldn't hear the vocals at all but the music was pretty atmospheric and the band was definitely into it. I may have to check them out.

I thought Danny's set was bigger in real life but I was so high up it didnt really matter. After Lost Keys they went into Rosetta Stoned, which is a great song, I just didn't favor it as an opener. As an earlier post stated, I couldn't hear any vocals clearly until the "overwhelmed as one might be...." part. Still was sweet...I wish there were visuals though.

When they went into Stinkfist, that set me off. They had the screens on the stage and everything and it was tight as heck. The extended middle was nice too, it made the song much more climactic. I didn't much get to enjoy 46 & 2 because the two idiots next to me claimed I was in their seat but they were in the wrong section. The fool had to get out his lighter and look at his tickets, our tickets, and then in turn proceed to ask those around him what section he was in. Thankfully him and his friend left after that song. I did get to catch Danny's drum solo in the song, which was breathtaking to say the least. The end was rocking as well.

Now I know that most kids who think of Tool think of Schism, and that there are far better pieces by them....but I almost lost it on that song. Especially when they sped up the middle and had the whole thing synced to the videos. Friggin amazing. I wanted to cry during Jambi because that is one of my favortie Tool songs (it goes in phases, Pushit, Prison Sex, etc) right now. As stated before the talk box solo was awesome and a nice touch. I know I forgot to mention the Pot but I wont say much besides that Maynard started singing and let the crowd finish the first line.....my friend didnt know what was going on. Good song though.

The spacey intro to Vicarious kills me every time. The whammy on the bass is just so lovely, I can't get enough of it. I thought it sounded nice and Danny's fill after the first chorus sounded perfect. Justin's little mini-solo and the orgasmic end were both just fantastic. Loved it, the visuals, the lights, etc.

I read the reviews from the previous night had learned that Aenema was the closer...didn't mind, but when they played it after Vicarious, I was kinda happy. It was still amazing and was funny as heck to hear live. The build-up at the end left me out of breath as the band sat down to take a breather as well. I knew that Wings was coming so I braced myself. I couldnt even really hear Adam's guitar in the beginnig and caught Maynard's vocals around the "you believed in me" part. Somebody needed to turn up the mic.....and what can I say about 10,000 days except that it owned.

Could't have been happier about the band's choice of playing Lateralus last. A very very epic song and it's length suited the finale well. I wanted to like float away on a spiral or something, it was awesome. I understand we got cheated out of Right In Two and the two old guys next to me kept saying something about "they have to play Sober, they have to...". Whatever. All I know is it went way too fast.

Glad I went, I know it compares nothing to shows they've had based on what some of you say but it was my first so I have nothing to compare it to.