View Single Post
Old 09-09-2006, 09:16 AM   #28
Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone

Bincount™: 2934
Re: 2006/09/08 - Los Angeles, CA - Staples Center

My sixth Tool show. Awesome. While we didn't hear anything they didn't already play last night (and even got one song fewer), it more than made up for the shitfest which was Street Scene. I'll post more very soon, but I'm need to eat first. I just really didn't want to be on the eighth or ninth page here. Meh.

EDIT: All righty then.

Picture this if you will:

10 to 6 pm, listening to "Right in Two" on the tail end of a marathon Opiate/Undertow/Ænima/Lateralus/10,000 Days session to prepare myself for my sixth Tool concert, fantasizing about what they might play tonight when just then my flaming friend Pat knocked on my door like I had expected him to a half hour ago. Finishing the song and driving up to Hell-Ay for the show and paying for parking left us yelping, "Holy fucking shit. $25.00 for this shady little parking lot."

Inside, the X-Files beings known as TDNers were congregating at the Harbor Bar, basking in their own Toolish nerdiness and waiting for a brown guy in a black Tool shirt to come grace us with his Ivy League presence. I didn’t have time to buy The Leader a beer because he didn’t arrive until about 8:45 and we had to get up to the nosebleed section in time for the show; I was flattered, however, when he said, "I’ve known your name for fucking years," and even more flattered when, drunk on the power of his own website, he grabbed my ass and whispered something about me being his chosen one as I walked away, heading to the bathroom so that the Jack-and-Cokes wouldn’t make me piss my fucking pants.

Okay, I’ll stop that. Anyway, the show was awesome. I wanted to do a little song-by-song, as I don’t think I’ve ever written a review that way before. Enjoy.

ROSETTA STONED
After a minute or two of "Lost Keys," Maynard took the stage walking slowly back and forth, and I wondered if I was the only one who was reminded of Bill Hicks (maybe it was the cowboy hat). There were some serious sound problems early on, as the vocals were entirely too quiet, but things improved toward the end of the song (in time for the "Overwhelmed as one would be" section, which is my favorite part of the new record). Very cool to see this, as the caveman antics of the meatheads at Street Scene had cost us this song. Unfortunately, there were no visuals (and that was the only toolband.com newsletter I had ever read in its entirety), but I still really enjoyed it.

STINKFIST
One of the best jams I’ve heard them do. Lights were very cool, and the stage definitely had some kind of backlighting that was badass. It was after this song that Pat’s girlfriend, a Tool concert virgin (and very inexperienced even with their music), turned to him and said, "That was incredible." Also, the sound mix was very good by this point.

THE POT
Full-on visuals now. I don’t know if they had problems early on or what. Nothing really to report except for the slower intro and, as always, the cool visuals.

FORTY-SIX & 2
I actually went to the bathroom at the beginning of this song (the Jack-and-Cokes went right through me, and I knew this was likely to be my least favorite song played that night), returning in time for Danny’s drum solo. The Ouroboros visuals were quite cool; I saw the lone one in the beginning and the tunnel of them later on. I’d actually like to see the whole thing at some point.

JAMBI
Oh, man, this song is so good live. This was probably my favorite at Street Scene (and second favorite tonight; you know why). Some of the better visuals of the current tour, and just a rocking song. They should consider opening (or even closing) with this, I think.

SCHISM
Didn’t really remember the "double-time" section from San Diego, so very enjoyable.

VICARIOUS
This song is so good live. I like that they now pause before the second verse. It seems they were really thinking about their live show with the new record; some of these songs just have opportunities for cool little flourishes built right in.

ÆNEMA
Maynard made it sound like this would be the last song, and since they’ve closed every (?) show with it this year, I was a little worried. It had only been about an hour. "They can't be finished yet," I thought. LA is the best place to see this song, and Maynard’s repetition of "Fuck retro anything" section was a gift from God, as it got the obnoxious, off-key motherfucker next to me to shut up for a few seconds.

WINGS FOR MARIE
So, I think everyone was expecting this. Adam’s guitar was a little drowned out by Maynard near the beginning, but things quickly sounded incredible, minus the crowd screaming. Why is it that everyone has to be loud whenever the band is quiet? Pretty flawless performance leading right into . . .

10,000 DAYS
Just amazing. There’s not really much I can say about this two-part epic; you just need to see it. Maynard came in too early at the "Hallelujah" line, but the band covered for him nicely. I think the most impressive thing about this was the vocals, which were absolutely perfect. Justin’s playing and tone were excellent, too. Danny tried some new rolls (some more successful than others), and Adam's raw tone was actually kind of welcome, providing an interesting contrast.

LATERALUS
Justin’s bass was a little too quiet, but this was overall one of the best performances of the night. I’ll always think "Ænema" is a better closer, but it was kind of refreshing to see this instead. While the visuals were great all night, they were probably strongest during this and the magnum opus before it. I like the spiral of people.

To wrap this up, I’ll just say that this was one of the best Tool shows I’ve seen. The band was excellent, and even though we missed out on "Right in Two," I like that they changed up the setlist a little, even if it was just the sequence. It actually kept me guessing, as I wondered after "Rosetta Stoned," "Ænema," and "10,000 Days," "Are they going to surprise us? Is this going to be the let’s-go-crazy show?" I couldn’t be disappointed with "Wings" and "10,000 Days"; they could have played Green Day covers for the rest of the show and I wouldn’t complain. See them. On this tour. And every tour.

Anyone else take the 405 South to get home? Who decided it was a good idea to take the freeway down to one lane at Beach Blvd AT MIDNIGHT ON A FRIDAY?

PS - Kabir, Mike, et al, it was great to meet you. See you next time, I hope.

PPS - Where is Peeping Tom? Tool gets Fantomas and Tomahawk to open for them, but when mike Patton does his first good thing since Faith No More, he’s nowhere to be found. I didn’t bother to watch Isis. At the very least, bring Tricky back, Tool.
<ru5ty> wat

Last edited by Alex in Chains; 09-09-2006 at 12:34 PM..
OFFLINE |