View Single Post
Old 11-24-2006, 04:04 AM   #30
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 87
Re: 2006/11/22 - Dublin, IRL - The Point

I think the general consensus seems to be that it was an amazing show. I'm not going to challenge that. If you had shown me the setlist before the gig I don't think I would have been impressed, same old stuff etc,etc. However in the heat of the moment it didn't matter a damn. When they kicked off with Stinkfist I wasn't thinking "ah not stinkfist again". It was more "fucking stinkfist, I LOVE THAT SONG!" I really don't have any complaints about what they played, sure some older stuff would have been lovely, but what they did play was killer.
The sound from were I was standing(15 feet away from Adam Jones) was good, ocassionally Maynards vocals seemed to get lost but they always came back. Visuals were amazing. The lasers during the second part of the show were just top-bananna, I had to rub my eyes a few times in disbelief.
However despite what Maynard said, there was some bad news. The security were complete over-zealous pricks, on Tools orders. I took lots of photos during Mastodons set and I didn't get assualted or a flashlight up my anus. Once Tool came on stadge, it all changed. I had the perfect shot during the vocoder solo in Jambi but couldn't take it because my camera would have been swiped. I know the band doesn't like photos being taken, I don't think it's very big of them. I've listened to Tool for over five years, given them lots of money, paid sixty quid for a ticket. I want to take photographs to have something unique of the experience that isn't a t-shirt, I' m not trying to nick anybodys ideas. If the fans want to take photos let them take them. With all the visuals,lasers,smoke and Maynards shades saying flash photos put them off is just ridiculous.
Some of the people, in fact a lot of them, up near the front only seemed to care when a song from 10000 days was played, strange....
Okay my whining is done, excellent show despite the faults, which weren't performance related, I'd go again tomorrow if I could.
Lets just hope they happen to be true to their word about returning.