View Single Post
Dungflowers
05-05-2006, 03:32 PM

Had this same discussion a few years back about Thom Yorke's (Radiohead) voice, and at first it was based on a performance prior to the release of Kid A. His voice cracked frequently and he couldn't hit the intense notes he used to. Everyone thought he was just rusty and needed time to get back to the Thom of old. Show after show after show you could hear it get noticeably worse. Its leveled off now, but his voice will of course never be the same. I call it the Steven Tyler syndrome.

Now basing Maynard's vocal decline off of one show is a bit ridiculous. Lets hear how he sounds throughout the tour and THEN make an assumption on his vocal abilitites. Oddly enough I read somewhere that male voices tend to hit their prime in the mid 40's, so go figure...
Old 05-05-2006, 03:32 PM   #52
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Tool getting older

Had this same discussion a few years back about Thom Yorke's (Radiohead) voice, and at first it was based on a performance prior to the release of Kid A. His voice cracked frequently and he couldn't hit the intense notes he used to. Everyone thought he was just rusty and needed time to get back to the Thom of old. Show after show after show you could hear it get noticeably worse. Its leveled off now, but his voice will of course never be the same. I call it the Steven Tyler syndrome.

Now basing Maynard's vocal decline off of one show is a bit ridiculous. Lets hear how he sounds throughout the tour and THEN make an assumption on his vocal abilitites. Oddly enough I read somewhere that male voices tend to hit their prime in the mid 40's, so go figure...