View Single Post
Old 06-05-2003, 07:55 PM   #2
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 19

I have very similar ideas on this song. I think it makes sense. Here is my interpretation of this track.

"Whats coming through is alive
Whats holding up is a mirror
Whats singing songs is a snake
Looking to turn my piss to wine"

The birth of a child. With them they bring a whole new way of thinking for the parents. There is the nurturing and loving and caring, unconditionally, not to mention the fine line of whether to let your child play with fire and get burnt, or tell them that its hot and not to touch (sorry, lack of a better example). I think the introduction of the snake (an archetype, possibly in this case referring to control?) hints that the early stages of a childs life certainly needs this predictability and comfort and help from the parents, hence the snake is singing.

"They’re both totally void of hate
But killing me just the same
Snake behind me hisses
What my damage could’ve been
My blood before me megs me to open up my heart again
And I feel this coming over like a storm again, considerately."

The two strong feelings are tearing this parent apart. They are both totally natural and pure. Their child continues to grow, pushing every stage of their life, making mistakes and generally learning for themselves. As a parent, seeing this and not standing over the child to protect them can be quite difficult. He can see in his child eyes that they are human and free spirits, but the snake hisses at the child again, and the child asks “what my damage could’ve been?” implying that we all need to have a chance at learning for ourselves. The storm I think just indicates the build up of all of these emotions inside the parents head, and the childs for that matter.

"Venomous voice tempts me, drains me, bleeds me,
Leaves me cracked and empty. Drags me down
Like some sweet gravity."

This part is just beautiful. The snake continues to hiss, and these strong feelings are starting to affect him physically and emotionally, it is draining him.

"I am too connected to you to slip away
Fade away. Days away I still feel you touching me
Changing me, considerately killing me."

The love between a child and their parent is a bond which seldom breaks. The parent asserts that even though he has these feelings of over-bearing protection, he understands that he must let go, eventually. But this letting go means that he must also rid himself of the snake. The snake is apart of himself so he sees his son as unintentionally killing the snake, changing him.

"Without the skin here, beneath the storm, under these tears, now the walls came down. And as the snake is drowned, and as I look in his eyes my fear begins to fade
Recalling all of the times I have cried, and will cry"

It sounds as though there was some sort of emotional discussion where-by the parent finally overcomes the snake through communication and understanding, as the snake is really only a metaphor for a part of the psyche which, essentially, we all have (hence the archetype). He faces these emotions and through this understanding his fears of burdening his child fade.

"And as the walls come down, and as I look in your eyes, my fear begins to fade
Recalling all of the times I have died, and will die, its alright. I don’t mind."

Now the parent knows that these were all natural emotions and that he will probably be confronted by them again, but he doesn’t mind.

"I am too connected to you to slip away
Fade away. Days away I still feel you touching me
Changing me, considerately killing me."

There it is. Not very well explained, but I think you can see where I am coming from. Remark, abuse, diss, make fun of, flirt or do whatever you want to this post.

Thank you for reading,
Andy