View Single Post
Aenima72826
08-21-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiningOne View Post
I mean seriously, if Danny Carey wants to find the entrance to "Hell," whatever that may be, what does he think he's gonna do? Send a postcard? Take a motorized tour? If he channels energies and draws upon mystic forces and summons a "daemon," whatever that is, are there no consequences? Isn't he tapping into a darker, malevolent force? I don't see qualities like peace and tolerance resulting from such an act. So if they incorporate this stuff into their music, what good can come from listening to it?

I don't know the answers to these questions. I don't think there are solutions, at least not easy ones. But I do think Tool itself is one of the authorities that should be "questioned". They'd probably agree. And if anyone thinks that no one puts any real value into this music, you need look no farther than some of topics and posts on this website to see just how much real religious value people infuse into this band's music. Maybe you and I don't, but click around.

Well i don't claim to speak for anyone at tool, but lets take "part of me" for an example.
The 72826 version has a prominent "demonic" voice in the background (its in the opiate version as well just not as noticeable) Some of the lyrics:

"You don't speak, You don't judge, You can't leave, you Can't hurt me, Just here for, Me to use"

This puts me in the mind of something known as the "Abramelin operation" part of which involves:

"the magician must evoke the 12 Kings and Dukes of Hell (Lucifer, Satan, Leviathan, Belial, etc.) and bind them. Thereby, the magician gains command of them in his own mental universe and removes their negative influence from his life."

"Because the work involves evocation of demons, the Abramelin operation has been compared to Goetic magic, especially by European scholars. However, the text's primary focus is upon the invocation of the guardian angel, and modern works on the subject tend to focus upon this aspect as well."

I think its a lot less about summoning hellfire & a lot more about acknowledging and doing something about the negativity in the world and accepting & controlling negative impulses, similar to how Christians struggle with temptation and sin.
aenima72826#3762
Old 08-21-2019, 08:36 PM   #61
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Tool and the Occult

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiningOne View Post
I mean seriously, if Danny Carey wants to find the entrance to "Hell," whatever that may be, what does he think he's gonna do? Send a postcard? Take a motorized tour? If he channels energies and draws upon mystic forces and summons a "daemon," whatever that is, are there no consequences? Isn't he tapping into a darker, malevolent force? I don't see qualities like peace and tolerance resulting from such an act. So if they incorporate this stuff into their music, what good can come from listening to it?

I don't know the answers to these questions. I don't think there are solutions, at least not easy ones. But I do think Tool itself is one of the authorities that should be "questioned". They'd probably agree. And if anyone thinks that no one puts any real value into this music, you need look no farther than some of topics and posts on this website to see just how much real religious value people infuse into this band's music. Maybe you and I don't, but click around.

Well i don't claim to speak for anyone at tool, but lets take "part of me" for an example.
The 72826 version has a prominent "demonic" voice in the background (its in the opiate version as well just not as noticeable) Some of the lyrics:

"You don't speak, You don't judge, You can't leave, you Can't hurt me, Just here for, Me to use"

This puts me in the mind of something known as the "Abramelin operation" part of which involves:

"the magician must evoke the 12 Kings and Dukes of Hell (Lucifer, Satan, Leviathan, Belial, etc.) and bind them. Thereby, the magician gains command of them in his own mental universe and removes their negative influence from his life."

"Because the work involves evocation of demons, the Abramelin operation has been compared to Goetic magic, especially by European scholars. However, the text's primary focus is upon the invocation of the guardian angel, and modern works on the subject tend to focus upon this aspect as well."

I think its a lot less about summoning hellfire & a lot more about acknowledging and doing something about the negativity in the world and accepting & controlling negative impulses, similar to how Christians struggle with temptation and sin.
aenima72826#3762
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote