View Single Post
emotional masturbation's Avatar emotional masturbation
12-05-2006, 05:04 AM

Well i wasnt guessing songs, but albuns. I think most of tools work reflect on maynard's pain about his mother being paralyzed and later her death. It's obviously a huge event that affected him through out his whole life.. So the other day i ran across the five stages of grief and it kinda clicked.

1 - Undertow may be seen as a denial album, with songs like Sober, Crawl away, Undertow and Flood. Flood could be that familiar place he went to. Sober is sort of self-destructive. No crying.

Mother Mary won't you whisper
something but what's past and done.

2 - Aenima is clearly angry towards many things - Eulogy, Hooker with a penis, Aenema and even Pushit. Ranting and pointing the finger at so many things, consumed by his own pain.

I'll move to heal
As soon as pain allows so we can
Reunite and both move on together

3 - Lateralus curiously took place right before the loss. It is the most rational album of all. I guess The Patient is the better example of him talking about the price to pay to keep her alive. I wouldnt like to say the whole album is a deal with god, but..

But I'm still right here
Giving blood, keeping faith
And I'm still right here.

4 - Ten Thousand Days depressing? No doubt, if you listen to Wings.. Plus there is Jambi. Again, pointing the finger, just not so furiously. Like he didnt care that much anymore. Yet there is some bitterness.

But I would wish it all away
If I thought I'd lose you just one day

5 - So, I think the next tool album will be the last one, finally reflecting Acceptance. Who knows.

Maybe there's a pattern. Maybe not.

Last edited by emotional masturbation; 12-05-2006 at 05:07 AM..
Old 12-05-2006, 05:04 AM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Five stages of Grief

Well i wasnt guessing songs, but albuns. I think most of tools work reflect on maynard's pain about his mother being paralyzed and later her death. It's obviously a huge event that affected him through out his whole life.. So the other day i ran across the five stages of grief and it kinda clicked.

1 - Undertow may be seen as a denial album, with songs like Sober, Crawl away, Undertow and Flood. Flood could be that familiar place he went to. Sober is sort of self-destructive. No crying.

Mother Mary won't you whisper
something but what's past and done.

2 - Aenima is clearly angry towards many things - Eulogy, Hooker with a penis, Aenema and even Pushit. Ranting and pointing the finger at so many things, consumed by his own pain.

I'll move to heal
As soon as pain allows so we can
Reunite and both move on together

3 - Lateralus curiously took place right before the loss. It is the most rational album of all. I guess The Patient is the better example of him talking about the price to pay to keep her alive. I wouldnt like to say the whole album is a deal with god, but..

But I'm still right here
Giving blood, keeping faith
And I'm still right here.

4 - Ten Thousand Days depressing? No doubt, if you listen to Wings.. Plus there is Jambi. Again, pointing the finger, just not so furiously. Like he didnt care that much anymore. Yet there is some bitterness.

But I would wish it all away
If I thought I'd lose you just one day

5 - So, I think the next tool album will be the last one, finally reflecting Acceptance. Who knows.

Maybe there's a pattern. Maybe not.

Last edited by emotional masturbation; 12-05-2006 at 05:07 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote