View Single Post
Old 09-22-2003, 10:47 AM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Kind of ...

(Disclaimer: This is just an opinion)

I think you are about half right. You just haven't followed your idea through it's complete conclusion. It seems you either omitted or ignored obvious parts of the song "Third Eye".

The Bill Hicks samples speak directly of drug use, and Bill adds in his rant, (paraphrased) "It's not a want of drugs , it's a want of personal freedoms..."

So possibly this song is about the limitations and benefits of using drugs to gain enlightenment. Sure drugs like Lsd , Pot, etc, can produce a state of altered conciousness, but it's artificial. The Enlightenment is external. I.E not pure and forced. Hence, "Prying open my third Eye". But this does not mean that the entire song is only about drugs. It seems to me that the song is about trying too hard to reach Enlightenment.

Most eastern religions (Budhism, Taoism, Zen), are less about dogma, civic duty, and morality , (then their western counterparts), and are more concerned with attaining a personal relationship with God, (in whatever form).
[Bill Hicks again can be referanced here, again, though this does not appear in 'Third Eye' , he has mentioned in his stand up how he has a personal relationship with god and dosen't need things like the bible or ministers etc in order to communicate with him/her/it (god). ]

And from many of these great eastern philiosophers we have come to understand that a state of enlightenment can not be forced. Many of you might notice you actually perform better at tasks when you let yourself go and stop trying.
I'll avoid any cheezy Star Wars referances here.

Ok this is a bit long, Sorry, but this is my first Post and my first visit to this Forum. I'm looking forward to any feedback.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote