View Single Post
Old 09-19-2003, 01:14 PM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Maybe not about drugs

I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, so... sorry in advance. Anyway, I was looking around this opinion thing and noticed that there is a huge thread of people discussing this song's possible asscociation with drug use. Has anyone considered the possibility that opening a third eye is just as simple as opening the two eyes your mother gave you? This, of course, is only my opinion but it is what i think when I hear the words:

On my back and tumbling
Down that hole and back again
Rising up
And wiping the webs and the dew from my withered eye.

In... Out... In... Out... In... Out...

I've spent so many years in question
to find I've known this all along.

With this, it seems obvious to me that Maynard is singing for one of those people who "just don't get it," if you know what i mean. This person (or group of people) is, according to what I read in the biography section of this website, a tool. He is stuck in a desolete hole and he has only realized now that he has always been. He is the cave dweller for Plato, sticking his head in and out of the cave, only to frightened by his own shadow. It makes sense to listen to the intro to the Salival version, rather than the album one. Near the end of the song, Maynard sings to the embicile; "So good to see you once again/I thought that you were hiding from me/And you thought that I had run away/Chasing a trail of smoke and reason." It seems like this tops it off.

D-Ral
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote