View Single Post
Old 05-17-2006, 08:30 AM   #58
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/05/16 - Toronto, CAN - Hummingbird Centre

Last night, I was one of the lucky ones who was able to get tickets to see Tool live at the Hummingbird Centre, and the band did not disappoint. In fact… they were everything I expected, and more! I’ve only seen them once before back on the Lateralus Tour at the Air Canada Centre, and this show had a distinctly different feel to it. Standing there watching them in this small, classy venue and being so close to them really made you feel special. It’s as if I almost knew I’d never get to see them this closely ever again. The show had a “warm up” feel, as if we were being treated to some sort of small, intimate jam session. The jokes from Maynard and the bands’ constant smiles really made you feel like you were experiencing something different – something special.

Some notes on the show overall:

From where I was standing, the sound was great. At some points it was a little tough to hear Maynard’s voice, but for the majority of the show he came across strong and clear. He seemed on his game – no signs of being sick, if he still is. And I love the mohawk and cowboy hat look. Danny looked so calm on drums, but damn he was amazing to watch! Adam looked very emotionless, but his strong guitar playing made the show rock as hard as it did. Justin was the one who was moving around and rocking out the most. His bass work, along with Danny’s drumming, was the “balls” of the show! Tool’s rhythm section is what makes them a powerful, monster band.

Security at the Hummingbird Centre was a bitch! As the show started, I attempted to take a picture with my cell phone and a guard closed my phone and told me if he caught me again he would kick me out. Alright, fuck you too buddy. Those fuckers with their flashlights constantly broke my attention from the show, and that’s one thing I hated.

The show had a “spectator” feel to it. Because of the fixed seating, there was obviously no moshing. For the most part, the fans stood in awe of the trippy stage presence and aura that Tool created with their visuals, lighting, and music. I was perfectly happy standing and just taking everything in. This band doesn’t tour often… so when I am lucky enough to see them, I won’t be wasting my time moshing… that’s for sure.

Maynard was in comedian mode, which is cool considering the last time I saw him (the week of the September 11th tragedy) he only said one thing all night. He told us to enjoy our strong Canadian dollar, and to buy the United States. The crowd ate that up. And he also blurted out “I love Canada” which was hilarious, seeing as you can never tell when the guy is serious or joking. I’m sure he appreciates his fans, regardless. In a classic line, Maynard said something along the lines of “We just came out with a new record, and it has gone platinum in Canada.” After the crowds ovation died down, MJK said, “What the fuck guys? What about triple platinum? I want to put a new wing on the winery!” Funny stuff! Don’t quote me word-for-word, of course.

The video screens behind the band members were wicked! I loved how they used clips of videos throughout the night. Not many bands these days create visuals like Tool.

Now to the setlist, and comments on the songs:

Lost Keys (Blame Hoffman) / Rosetta Stoned: Lost Keys had no Nurse/Doctor voiceovers… it was just music. As the curtain went up, Adam and Justin were on stage starting it up. They were joined after a few minutes by Danny who was greeted as if he were God. Maynard then came out and the place exploded. He had some sort of voice distortion box (with something strapped onto his back?), and I got chills when I heard “Alrighty then. Picture this if you will…” followed by the band ripping right into Rosetta Stoned. This song absolutely kicked our asses live! An awesome opening song!

Stinkfist: The place went nuts at the start! Going from new Tool to old Tool pulls everything together and makes you realize how good these guys really are! Midway through the song, they performed a different variation of the song which I’ve heard on other live bootlegs. Amazing!

Forty-Six & 2: More classic Tool kept us on our feet.

Jambi: I think everyone was waiting for this one! One of the hardest rocking Tool songs ever… and it came across as such! I’m glad to know 10,000 Days has so many “Heavy Metal” aspects to it. Adam’s talkbox solo came across flawlessly! And everyone loved it from the sound of things!

Schism: The crowd went nuts at the intro. The coolest part of this song was midway through when the band changed up the instrumentals and basically turned it into a very heavy jam session. It was wild! Maynard was on keyboards, so it seemed.

Right in Two: Instantly, I heard someone scream “Play The Pot” a couple of times. This is where the internet ruins the surprises, I guess. But, what can you do? This is one of my favorites on 10,000 Days and while I probably would have rather heard The Pot and The Patient… it was still awesome! Silly monkeys…

Sober: More older Tool… it rocked live! Hearing this song made me wish they had played at least another song or two off of Opiate and Undertow.

Lateralus: This was my favorite song of the night, hands down! I always loved this song, but I swear I have a new appreciation for it now!

The band then stepped away from their areas and sat on the mini stage Maynard stood on for the whole show. They sat there and soaked up a good ovation for a few minutes, and then went back to their posts.

Vicarious: As much as this song rocks on the radio… it’s even better live. Good to hear the crowd singing along.

Ænema: Before the start of this song, Maynard said “I was serious about you guys buying the States, ya know? It’s all going to be a bunch of beachfront property soon anyway.” And he went straight into the “Hey hey hey…” intro! This sent chills up my spine! Everyone lost it! This song was another highlight for me. No matter how many times I hear it, it constantly reminds me of the world’s problems and how easy it would be to flush it all away. Awesome way to end the show!

After the show, the band hugged and threw guitar picks, drum sticks, water bottles and pieces of Danny’s drum kit (I think??) like frisbees into the crowd. They waved goodbye and left the stage.

I can’t wait to see them again in August/September! I bought a $30 poster and a $40 t-shirt… yeah, I’m a huge tool… but I wouldn’t want it any other way! I can honestly say that this band brings me so much friggin’ happiness it’s hard to translate into words!

Thanks for the unbelievable show, guys! In my eyes, there is no greater band than Tool!
OFFLINE |