View Single Post
Old 05-17-2006, 01:46 AM   #42
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2
Re: 2006/05/16 - Toronto, CAN - Hummingbird Centre

Just got back from the show (5 hour drive from Montreal, and 5 hours back). It was my 5th Tool show, and 2nd small venue show. I can't say it was my best Tool concert ever, but it was definitely awesome.

The band sounded excellent. Danny definitely sounded better than ever before. I can't believe he's 45 and still getting better! His solo in 46&2, and Right in Two, were jaw dropping. His drumming in Vicarious was so wicked. Justin and Adam sounded great. I DID notice the fuck up in Lateralus, it was definitely Maynard coming in too early, during Adam's solo. I watched nervously to see if they'd get out of it, and they did..beautifully! They didn't all change to suit Maynard, but they let him sing his part.. then they just sort of jammed for another few bars, randomly, then brought it to the quiet part. It was awesome, and to me it added character to the song!

The only complaints I have: I think it COULD have been a touch louder. It sounded really loud at first, but halfway through the show I felt it could have used another notch (turn it to 11 next time!). I also thought the security sucked total ass... I couldn't smoke my joint, for probably the first time in over 50 big concerts. They were standing right behind us (we had aisle seats at the back of the floor). I think the no-drugs plus the somewhat far seats made me feel a little disconnected with the band. At the small venue in Portland 2001, when I was tripping on strong mushrooms, I was 100% connected with the band. This show was great, but didn't quite reach that peak. I think its true that the crowd may have been a little reserved, and I always appreciate a lively crowd, but it wasn't really a big deal. I was there to see the band, not the crowd.

Highlights: Stinkfist, 46&2, Lateralus, Aenima (fuck yeah!). I loved Right in Two, but I'm still sad I didn't hear The Pot. But we also got the extended parts in Stinkfist and Schism, which I don't think the other shows got.

Anyway, out of my 5 Tool shows.. I'd probably rank this as the 3rd best. Hope to see them in Vancouver in the fall, or possibly Seattle or Portland.
OFFLINE |