Thread: Black and White
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 04:20 PM   #20
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Black and White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisu View Post
I thought it was purely subjective? How can they have a theme if Maynard's "interpretation" is no more valid than yours?

But you're right of course, you're the only one here who can think for them self..
*cough*bullshit*cough*
There is only really one way to interpret the words,

"Think for yourself, question authority."

These words may be applied to many different scenarios, but all in all there is really only one interpretation, it's pretty straight-forward.

All I have been trying to say thus far is that there is no right or wrong answer to how you or any of us look at lyrics. This is true for you, Maynard, and me. I know it's kind of tacky to quote myself from earlier in the post but:

"If we look at the world through eyes that only see black and white, good and bad, left and right, right and wrong, we don't accept that things just aren't that simple. By adding in red and yellow we can see that things can be both good and bad, left and right, right and wrong on many different levels. The acknowledgment that life is more complicated than black and white we see the reality for what it is unstifled by our own preconceptions."

But by saying that Maynard's interpretation is the right interpretation is saying there is a right interpretation and a wrong one. Whether he intended a meaning or not, the meaning is ours to make for ourselves. The rejection of anyone's interpretation as wrong only hinders your own understanding of human beings at different stages in life. Like Hershel's Garden we have the opportunity here to see different specimens at different stages in there journey all at once. Through this we are able to deduce how and why certain people think certain things and logically deduce where they might go.

I never once said that Maynard's interpretation is any less valuable than any of ours, just that it is irrelevant in the sense of right and wrong, because there is no right and wrong. Someone might have an opinion that is far from your own, and because of that you view it as wrong, but this is simply not true. So you see, I'm not arguing one side of this matter, I'm arguing that all sides are relevant and all have value, despite how it differs from your side.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote