Thread: Black and White
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009, 11:22 PM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Black and White

Way too long of a listener, first time caller.

Anyway, whenever I first heard the song, I didn't understand the fibinocci number sequence or anything else about the song (seven years later, I get it) but there is something I do notice about the song that I haven't seen anyone else post about this one.

It relates to the first verse, in particular:

[Black and white are all I see in my infancy
Red and yellow then came to me
Reaching out to me
Lets me see]

When I first heard this, I was immediately relating this to the book "The Giver." The book is about a society where everything is controlled and no one sees in any colors but black white. There is only one person, The Giver, who has any sort of ability to see in color. Roles in the future (laborers, birthmothers, scientists) are determined at about the age of 12? and this particular year in the book, the main character receives the role of becoming the new Giver. The Giver has the knowledge of all past life through memories and is able to pass them on to others (strangely enough, memories about World War II and other past events.)

Now, why the book backstory? The main character in the book first starts to see colors, only as blips or flashes at first. First, he notices the color of red in an apple from a schoolmate as he/she tosses it to him. Next, he notices the blonde hair of his hopefull significant other.

Black and white > Red > Yellow

Maybe this is the color recognition pattern humans develop as children. Who knows?

BTW, Maynard is probably an Anasasi.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote