View Single Post
Old 06-25-2006, 02:36 AM   #25
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/06/24 - Katowice, POL - Spodek Arena

The actual setlist is correct. It's worth to mention, that there were several jams between songs, with one especially cool, somewhere around vicarious, I believe. It involved rather ambient/electronic sounds, with both Adam and Maynard playing on keyboards. During that, a technician was tuning adam's guitar for vicarious.

There was also a moment, where the band stopped playing, had taken off instruments, and were sitting/laying for few mins, observing the crowd. Of course angry eighteens haven't understood the idea behind that...

The show was dissapointing, from the very beginning. The organisation was poor, the price for ticket aswell (150 PLN = approx. $50, it's ALOT for a one-band gig here in Poland). Spodek hall has awful sound-surrounding, which in the end results with inaccurate, distracted, rumbiling sound, echoing from the walls. The accoustics were fucked up. There were few times, where guitar or percussion sound was suddenly raised up, drowning out the other members. The visuals were displayed on 4 screens (nice), but majority of them comes up from last tour, and the new ones looked like shit, seems like done in 10 minutes, involving some basic digital processing effects (kaleidoscope etc). Definitely not made by Camella. (aka Retina Logic)

As for musicians, I haven't noticed any major fuckups in playing. Danny did the usual job, but seemed rather out-of-the place, Adam's technique improved, this could be seen in certainty in his hands. Justin seemed to enjoy the playing, he moves more, smiles more, waves head/hair sometimes, there is a life in his bass playing - seems like he did the best progress. MJK moved sometimes, but his voice left a lot to be desired in some parts (or maybe it was accoustics).

The highlights were the ambient intros between songs, super-quick schism bridge (awesome idea!), Rosetta Stoned was performed (and sounded) suprisingly good. As for other songs, meh, poor. Songs from new album sounded flat, especially Jambi and (to my great dissapointment) - Vicarious.

Can't agree about the fans and lyrics - I felt a lot of people enjoyed the show singing, and you seem to forgot the sober part, where maynard left almost all lyrics from chorus, leaving the singing to choir of fans, singing only one word to give a sync for all. It was something 'not-toolish' and I liked it.

New fans could enjoy it, I'm sure, But it wasn't an awesome gig, really.

I would like to thank all my friends around the country, who I met with - you were mostly the thing I went there for and (contrary to band) you haven't disappointed.

Last edited by rattkin; 06-25-2006 at 02:47 AM..
OFFLINE |