View Single Post
neutered's Avatar neutered
05-05-2006, 12:29 PM

Nah, we're on the same page...although I don't know of specific companies that would be in a similar position as those, undoubtedly the whole prison-industrial complex stands to lose out big time if there was a legalization/decriminalization of marijuana (I support the Amsterdam, soft-drugs approach). For my speech class a couple years ago I talked about this. I could go dig up the particular statistics I used, from NORML and FBI and other government data, about the millions of people incarcerated each year for possession alone; the huge increase in prison population over the past 3-4 decades and the percentage that are non-violent drug offenses; the money spent by local, state, & federal enforcement efforts (that should be delegated to serious issues, i.e. the meth epidemic & not busting Tommy Chong); the court costs of trying these cases & the subsequent cost of housing these inmates each year, etc. The economic cost is giant. I do remember coming to a rough estimate of about $50 Billion/Year that legalization could allow for the US based on eliminating the aforementioned costs, and then factoring the amount of money that could be made by regulating it, taxing it, selling it, the whole deal.

As much as System of Down has progressively sucked more & more imo, they did have a good basic quote in Prison Song...something like "All research on effective drug policy shows that treatment should be increased, law enforcement decreased, while abolishing mandatory minimum sentences"...sounds pretty fair to me
Old 05-05-2006, 12:29 PM   #34
alpha male (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 374
Re: You're an Alcoholic

Nah, we're on the same page...although I don't know of specific companies that would be in a similar position as those, undoubtedly the whole prison-industrial complex stands to lose out big time if there was a legalization/decriminalization of marijuana (I support the Amsterdam, soft-drugs approach). For my speech class a couple years ago I talked about this. I could go dig up the particular statistics I used, from NORML and FBI and other government data, about the millions of people incarcerated each year for possession alone; the huge increase in prison population over the past 3-4 decades and the percentage that are non-violent drug offenses; the money spent by local, state, & federal enforcement efforts (that should be delegated to serious issues, i.e. the meth epidemic & not busting Tommy Chong); the court costs of trying these cases & the subsequent cost of housing these inmates each year, etc. The economic cost is giant. I do remember coming to a rough estimate of about $50 Billion/Year that legalization could allow for the US based on eliminating the aforementioned costs, and then factoring the amount of money that could be made by regulating it, taxing it, selling it, the whole deal.

As much as System of Down has progressively sucked more & more imo, they did have a good basic quote in Prison Song...something like "All research on effective drug policy shows that treatment should be increased, law enforcement decreased, while abolishing mandatory minimum sentences"...sounds pretty fair to me