View Single Post
peolesdru
05-03-2006, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypocrite
What you seem to be ignoring is that the regulation of these drugs isnt just to protect the safety of those who would take them, its to protect other innocent people in society who can be effected by them...
Other innocent people can be affected (not effected) by lots of things and when that happens we have laws to deal with those situations - as we would no longer be dealing with what one consentual adult does to himself. Neglecting your children is legitimately illegal, as is robbing someone to support one's habit.

Quote:
...but someone as "intelligent" as you would obviously see that flaw in your reasoning...
I fail to see a flaw, as my argument centers around the non-coercive activities of adults and doesn't relate one iota to actual crimes being commited against others. Making things illegal because they may lead to actual offenses against others is a slipperly slope - let's just stick to making things illegal where there is a victim other than the offender.

Quote:
Additionally since your so concerned about government interference in our private lifes isn't it the least bit disconcerting to you that you are backing an idea that would allow the government to make BILLIONS of dollars by selling its own people poison?
Nice straw man argument, but I didn't say that. Now, you could argue that the government would tax the sale of these substances (as with beer and cigarrettes), but that leads to an argument against taxation.

Quote:
... doesn't the government sell us enough shit, as it is without allowing them to profit from this too?...
Again, an argument against the government selling us shit in the first place. I can't think of any nationalized industries off the top of my head, however, so I'm not sure what you're referring to. I gather you think it sounds absurd on its face to "sit back, legalize it and let people do as the will", but I have exactly the opposite opinion and we're not likely to convince one another. We may be able to agree on the harm caused by the governement "get(ting) filthy rich by exploiting human zombies", but to me that's a call to arms to get the government out of the business of doing THAT, not an argument against legalization.

The bottom line is that the criminalization of drugs (and other things, like gambling and prostitution) would appear to do more harm than good or is, at the very least a wash, except for the enormous cost of enforcement.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:18 PM   #15
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: You're an Alcoholic

Quote:
What you seem to be ignoring is that the regulation of these drugs isnt just to protect the safety of those who would take them, its to protect other innocent people in society who can be effected by them...
Other innocent people can be affected (not effected) by lots of things and when that happens we have laws to deal with those situations - as we would no longer be dealing with what one consentual adult does to himself. Neglecting your children is legitimately illegal, as is robbing someone to support one's habit.

Quote:
...but someone as "intelligent" as you would obviously see that flaw in your reasoning...
I fail to see a flaw, as my argument centers around the non-coercive activities of adults and doesn't relate one iota to actual crimes being commited against others. Making things illegal because they may lead to actual offenses against others is a slipperly slope - let's just stick to making things illegal where there is a victim other than the offender.

Quote:
Additionally since your so concerned about government interference in our private lifes isn't it the least bit disconcerting to you that you are backing an idea that would allow the government to make BILLIONS of dollars by selling its own people poison?
Nice straw man argument, but I didn't say that. Now, you could argue that the government would tax the sale of these substances (as with beer and cigarrettes), but that leads to an argument against taxation.

Quote:
... doesn't the government sell us enough shit, as it is without allowing them to profit from this too?...
Again, an argument against the government selling us shit in the first place. I can't think of any nationalized industries off the top of my head, however, so I'm not sure what you're referring to. I gather you think it sounds absurd on its face to "sit back, legalize it and let people do as the will", but I have exactly the opposite opinion and we're not likely to convince one another. We may be able to agree on the harm caused by the governement "get(ting) filthy rich by exploiting human zombies", but to me that's a call to arms to get the government out of the business of doing THAT, not an argument against legalization.

The bottom line is that the criminalization of drugs (and other things, like gambling and prostitution) would appear to do more harm than good or is, at the very least a wash, except for the enormous cost of enforcement.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote