View Single Post
Old 05-22-2006, 09:35 PM   #62
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/05/21 - Boston, MA - Orpheum Theatre

I wasn't going to write a review cause you've heard it all, its just for me to have a better memory of it in a few years. Pardon the length, I'm no good at "the whole brevity thing."

Champagne was in order as it was a special occasion to say the least. Tuesday is usually a special enough occasion for champagne for me, but this certainly tops any other day! (well, that and the new album day). What a special day it was…We enjoyed dinner and drinks at Legal so much I almost forgot why we were in town…FYI- everyone must take out a loan and get the wild salmon there….OOOH! And we got our obligatory Litter-ature as expected from our ever faithful Jesus “vendor”.
I don’t know what I did right to be able to get tix, but I even took up praying again before the curtain came up to give a “big-up to whom it may concern”. Or were we just so happy to hear Meshuggah before the show to amp us up? Couldn’t have asked for better pre-show music, just wish they had been there too! Wait, Peaches would have been fine also…heheh…you love it.

From the moment we sat down and realized what was about to happen to even now, it still seems so surreal. About a month ago I didn’t think I’d be here til November or something if that. What a nice treat to see them so close. It was also a little bizarre, as I personally am accustomed to accepting that I can’t see them too well and find it easier to enjoy the music and visuals. I kept reminding myself to open my eyes since I could actually watch them play this time. Wish I could have had a view of Justin though…

I read past reviews, various feelings on setlist, sound and visuals. As soon as they came on it all made sense some how, this may have been the last US show for a few, but it was still only a warm up and hopefully ‘teaser tour’ if you will. I’d like to think everyone has more faith in these guys than to assume they won’t keep pushing live boundaries with each tour, but I understand the nervousness. Just like every time they release an album people are worried it’s their last, for no particular reason. We just depend so much on this experience that only a live Tool show gives.

Although I do agree with M-nuts vox being muffled, maybe it was intentional given the circumstances mentioned. Also maybe he is less animated in part due to being so close to people this time. ie. nowhere to hide. I have no problem barely seeing him, gyrating or not, if it means he can give the best vocal performance. Although I did like some of the lassoing moves. Did anyone else think of the Wynona had a big brown beaver video? Ride the spiral indeed.

There were times when I was straining to hear him, especially over everyone joyously (yes, I meant joyously) singing along. Once the sound got better after RI2 the crowd wasn’t an issue. I absolutely loved seeing everyone’s arms instinctively go up to the sky on “prayin for rain”, myself included. I felt the love man. And Jeff’s right, that’s the ultimate point to that one, and in a room full of die-hards it didn’t go unnoticed.

I couldn’t have asked for a better setlist. I was just beggin for RI2 but to get the Pot with it, shit, I musta don’t something right. Chills man, chills all over. I haven’t rocked that hard in so long!!!! “And man are my lumbars tired.” Rosetta stoned is so great, so glad in ___ years from now I’ll be “The” old lady saying I saw it when. Lateralus had to have sounded the best; I’ve never heard that place so loud! As it should have been. It was funny while having a sit down break and at our loudest they were holding their hands to their ears like “What? That’s all you got? I can’t hear you!” I believe that’s why they decided to do the pot, honestly. You get what you put in sometimes.
So it was a worthy number 11 for sure. But there’s never enough…. We’re so lucky! Hi to Scott and co., I hope you loved it.
OFFLINE |