View Single Post
Old 05-21-2006, 11:42 AM   #39
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/05/20 - New York, NY - City Center

Amazing, amazing show...Easily the best I have ever been to, Tool or otherwise.

I sat in rear mezz and had absolutely no problem with the acoustics. The band's sound was tight and near flawless. I can't even imagine how wonderful it must have sounded for someone seated in the orchestra section.

Obviously the setlist was altered, and I was quite surprised when they came blazing out of the gate with Stinkfist and 46 & 2. Those songs may have been better if saved for the middle of the set, but starting out with such a fury was great as well. I didn't like the idea of opening with Rosetta Stoned when I had heard they were doing it at previous shows, and I'm somewhat glad they didn't.

Security and ushers and the venue were also awesome.

The only thing that irked me slightly (very slightly) was that I feel like the setlist is getting shorter and shorter. Most shows got "The Pot" and "The Patient" in addition to everything else, or "Right in Two" only. We got only "The Patient."

Also Maynard never left his platform. He did move/dance around a bit, but stayed in his little area. Some reviews of the other shows said he was moving to the fron of the stage and whatnot, which would have been interesting. Adam was his usual statue self.

The other thing that annoyed me were these assholes that I heard talking after the show making comments like "oh, I wish they would have played Opiate, or I wish they would have played "Jerk-Off." Come on now, I am an old school fan as well, but expecting to play those tracks is just ridiculous. Not only is this a tour in support of 10,000 days, but they have three albums before which WERE reperesented. They are likely tired of tracks they played more than 10 years ago.

Overall, a wonderful set from my favorite band. No screw-ups in sound or playing that I could notice whatsoever.

Highlights for me were: "Sober," "Aenema," "Vicarious," "The Patient," and "Lateralus." That is almost the whole show, but what can I say? ;)
OFFLINE |