View Single Post
drkrdglo
05-02-2006, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by submachine
Much of 10000 Days sounds like a guitar training session, the riffs are mixed WAY too loud over the drum (beat).

The songs should have built around the best drummer in the world: Danny Carey, instead of recycling endless guitar riffs.
Funny thing you say that! I just pumped $200 into UE Super.fi 5 Pro Canal-phones (after my dog ate my Shure E2Cs) and expected to really break them in with this album. After listening to half the album I was extremely upset with my purchase. I thought the crossover in the phones threw off the lower-mids, thus cancelling out some of the drums. I then put on Lateralus and a few APC songs to find that it wasn't my earphones at all, but the mixing of the album itself.

If not only to be dissapointed that the drums are mixed too low, the vocals are mixed equally low! MJK's voice is crystal clear in every other Tool album, even on the songs where they are instrument driven - ie. Ticks and Leeches. I'm sure when they play the songs live it'll be a totally different dynamic, but for an album that's set in stone the levels on this album are extremely dissapointing. I'd almost go so far as to say it sounds like an excellent bootleg!
Old 05-02-2006, 04:21 AM   #54
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 10K Days; Too much guitar, not enough drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by submachine
Much of 10000 Days sounds like a guitar training session, the riffs are mixed WAY too loud over the drum (beat).

The songs should have built around the best drummer in the world: Danny Carey, instead of recycling endless guitar riffs.
Funny thing you say that! I just pumped $200 into UE Super.fi 5 Pro Canal-phones (after my dog ate my Shure E2Cs) and expected to really break them in with this album. After listening to half the album I was extremely upset with my purchase. I thought the crossover in the phones threw off the lower-mids, thus cancelling out some of the drums. I then put on Lateralus and a few APC songs to find that it wasn't my earphones at all, but the mixing of the album itself.

If not only to be dissapointed that the drums are mixed too low, the vocals are mixed equally low! MJK's voice is crystal clear in every other Tool album, even on the songs where they are instrument driven - ie. Ticks and Leeches. I'm sure when they play the songs live it'll be a totally different dynamic, but for an album that's set in stone the levels on this album are extremely dissapointing. I'd almost go so far as to say it sounds like an excellent bootleg!
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote