View Single Post
Stoned Immaculate's Avatar Stoned Immaculate
06-18-2007, 11:06 AM

Okay so i'm back home now, I arrived around minight last night. Still overcome by Friday night...

I went up to Tennesse with about 6-7 of my friends so it was a guaranteed good time. I was hellbent on getting a good seat for Tool, so we were there almost two hours before the show was slated to start. Also, I had eaten an eighth of mushrooms just a few hours prior. I figured since I saw the band in Florida while completly sober and in the 1st row, I should try for a different experience. We settled a little bit left of the control tower thing and started talking to some really cool people. One of them was a friendly bearded man named Russ and we smoked a good amount of bowls & joints together while talking about Tool and other good music. At this point they were soundchecking the instruments - and Adam's guitar was fucking brutal...it sounded so goddamn good. As mentioned previously, kudos to the sound tech people - the entire festival sounded amazing. No complaints there.

After smoking all that weed I started really tripping hard. You know how it is @ shows or festivals especially - the harcore fans get there real early to get good seats and then the masses show up trying to get close and they walk through you...it's all very annoying. Our group used the "starfish" method to try and keep the people away from us haha. Soon everyone was standing but it was too much for me to handle @ that point, so I stayed low. The ground turned into a disco dance floor, so that cheered me up.

After I could build up enough stength to resurface there were these really fucking annoying drunken teenagers not too far away. I was like "Oh god, no. Not this show." But I couldn't really move since there were so many people, and I hate being that annoying person that cuts through people. Finally, the house lights went down and the crowd went wild...

"I smell patchouli."

FUCKING STRAIGHT INTO JAMBI. Maynard was pretty crazy the whole show; he never had his back to the crowd and was dancing quite a bit. The stage also had two huge monitors on either side - so those were projecting all of the weird imagery/video art associated with Tool (but not the same as the screens behind the band). The orange during Jambi made my mind wander and suddenly Maynard became Satan. Also, throughout the show I had convinced myself that Tool was jamming since they were @ Bonnaroo. Everything sounded so different to my ears...unexpected, you know? I knew all the songs they played yet I was totally surprised with sections during certain songs.

A few songs into it I decided to move forward because those drunken kids were freaking me out. And then something really fucking weird happend. Earlier in the show Russ and his buddy had decided to move for the same reason so I was kinda bummed because it would have been really awesome to see Tool with them. Crazy thing is, I found a good spot within this huge crowd...and I found them again. That really fucking messed with my brain, but it was awesome. Throughout the show we all exchanged "tool is unbelievable" facial expressions.

During 46 & 2 some chica in front of me fainted (probably drug induced) and all her friends were screaming their faces off for a medic. That was scary, I thought she had died...but at the same time I was like...why does this have to happen at a Tool show, let alone a legendary one like this. But she was fine eventually. It actually in a way intensified the song for me...

Rosetta Stoned...my god...I thought it was amazing when I saw them in Florida...but this was just overwhelming. Maynard did the screams and everything. Did I mention the lasers? As someone said previously, there was so much dust (and smoke, haha) that the lasers were incredible..."when a flaming stealth banana split the sky" and the song just made so much more sense considering the venue (lots o' hippies on LSD).

Flood. What is there to say? I didn't even really understand what was going on at that point. I thought they were jamming. I was completly consumed by the music; I had let myself go, I wanted Tool to feed off of my energy and do something amazing with it. Mission accomplished.

Wings seemed kinda "eh" ... considering they had just played Flood. The whole buildup made so much more sense while tripping, though. So that was highly enjoyable. The crowd didn't seem into it as much as the other songs.

And of course...Lateralus. As if it wasn't amazing enough - Tom Morello fucking killed it with the guitar solo which seemed to go on forever (in a good way). It was really refreshing to hear the guitar being played in his style with Danny backing him. I believe this is where the Alex Grey background showed up...it might have been a few songs earlier, but for some reason it was more apparent during this song. Either way, it looked huge and they had lights projecting different colors onto it. Pretty trippy. Also I think there was a little extension towards the "spiral out" part...because I started singing "spiira...!!" as did many others until we realized that Tool didn't break it down yet. Trickery.

Vicarious was awesome, but I was upset Maynard didn't sing the "vicariousllyyyyy IIIIIIIIII" part again. He said something like "your turn Bonnaroo" and stuck the mic out. That's pretty much the best part of the song so that always has bothered me. Otherwise it was perfect. I knew from previous experience and from reading on here that they usually close with this song, so that was a bummer. Until...

"hey hey hey hey hey...."

I flipped my shit. My mind flashed back how I used this song for a philosophy project not too long ago. It was really interesting seeing all the nice looking hippies sing along with such brutal lyrics; everyone was into it. The "'cause i'm praying for rain.....watch you flush it all away" verse was beautiful. Closing the show with that song was brilliance.

They definitely finished early. I believe they still had 30-35 minutes to fill. But i'm not complaining. It was probably the greatest show i've been to besides Daft Punk (but they are completly different...so I am unsure how to compare) - the vibes, everything...it was just perfect.

The only complaint I have was trying to get out of there after the show. I was still tripping so I thought I was just walking in place, because it seemed like no one was getting anywhere. But eventually I found my way out and lost all of my friends...haha...it's all good though. It took me a bit to get my bearings back.

And if anyone was worrying about if anyone got footage of the show - I saw a guy videotaping the entire thing with a camcorder. There is most certainly tons of footage thats going to be availible within the next few days. Just keep your eyes peeled.

Oh and also --

I was wondering if Russ is a member of this forum, so if you're reading this -- thanks for the great time! Maybe we can go see some more Tool shows in the future, it was a blast.

And I met some guys Saturday morning when I went to go take a shower. I didn't get their names but they said they were from Illinois...we talked about Cochella and Lollapalooza...and Saw haha.

I was the chica with the light blue '06 Bonnaroo shirt and the red/orange Mars Volta baseball style shirt. Also I was wearing a blue bandanna most of the time. So if you talked to someone who fits that description, it was me.

SUCCESS!!
Old 06-18-2007, 11:06 AM   #10
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 901
Re: 2007/06/15 - Manchester, TN - Bonnaroo Festival

Okay so i'm back home now, I arrived around minight last night. Still overcome by Friday night...

I went up to Tennesse with about 6-7 of my friends so it was a guaranteed good time. I was hellbent on getting a good seat for Tool, so we were there almost two hours before the show was slated to start. Also, I had eaten an eighth of mushrooms just a few hours prior. I figured since I saw the band in Florida while completly sober and in the 1st row, I should try for a different experience. We settled a little bit left of the control tower thing and started talking to some really cool people. One of them was a friendly bearded man named Russ and we smoked a good amount of bowls & joints together while talking about Tool and other good music. At this point they were soundchecking the instruments - and Adam's guitar was fucking brutal...it sounded so goddamn good. As mentioned previously, kudos to the sound tech people - the entire festival sounded amazing. No complaints there.

After smoking all that weed I started really tripping hard. You know how it is @ shows or festivals especially - the harcore fans get there real early to get good seats and then the masses show up trying to get close and they walk through you...it's all very annoying. Our group used the "starfish" method to try and keep the people away from us haha. Soon everyone was standing but it was too much for me to handle @ that point, so I stayed low. The ground turned into a disco dance floor, so that cheered me up.

After I could build up enough stength to resurface there were these really fucking annoying drunken teenagers not too far away. I was like "Oh god, no. Not this show." But I couldn't really move since there were so many people, and I hate being that annoying person that cuts through people. Finally, the house lights went down and the crowd went wild...

"I smell patchouli."

FUCKING STRAIGHT INTO JAMBI. Maynard was pretty crazy the whole show; he never had his back to the crowd and was dancing quite a bit. The stage also had two huge monitors on either side - so those were projecting all of the weird imagery/video art associated with Tool (but not the same as the screens behind the band). The orange during Jambi made my mind wander and suddenly Maynard became Satan. Also, throughout the show I had convinced myself that Tool was jamming since they were @ Bonnaroo. Everything sounded so different to my ears...unexpected, you know? I knew all the songs they played yet I was totally surprised with sections during certain songs.

A few songs into it I decided to move forward because those drunken kids were freaking me out. And then something really fucking weird happend. Earlier in the show Russ and his buddy had decided to move for the same reason so I was kinda bummed because it would have been really awesome to see Tool with them. Crazy thing is, I found a good spot within this huge crowd...and I found them again. That really fucking messed with my brain, but it was awesome. Throughout the show we all exchanged "tool is unbelievable" facial expressions.

During 46 & 2 some chica in front of me fainted (probably drug induced) and all her friends were screaming their faces off for a medic. That was scary, I thought she had died...but at the same time I was like...why does this have to happen at a Tool show, let alone a legendary one like this. But she was fine eventually. It actually in a way intensified the song for me...

Rosetta Stoned...my god...I thought it was amazing when I saw them in Florida...but this was just overwhelming. Maynard did the screams and everything. Did I mention the lasers? As someone said previously, there was so much dust (and smoke, haha) that the lasers were incredible..."when a flaming stealth banana split the sky" and the song just made so much more sense considering the venue (lots o' hippies on LSD).

Flood. What is there to say? I didn't even really understand what was going on at that point. I thought they were jamming. I was completly consumed by the music; I had let myself go, I wanted Tool to feed off of my energy and do something amazing with it. Mission accomplished.

Wings seemed kinda "eh" ... considering they had just played Flood. The whole buildup made so much more sense while tripping, though. So that was highly enjoyable. The crowd didn't seem into it as much as the other songs.

And of course...Lateralus. As if it wasn't amazing enough - Tom Morello fucking killed it with the guitar solo which seemed to go on forever (in a good way). It was really refreshing to hear the guitar being played in his style with Danny backing him. I believe this is where the Alex Grey background showed up...it might have been a few songs earlier, but for some reason it was more apparent during this song. Either way, it looked huge and they had lights projecting different colors onto it. Pretty trippy. Also I think there was a little extension towards the "spiral out" part...because I started singing "spiira...!!" as did many others until we realized that Tool didn't break it down yet. Trickery.

Vicarious was awesome, but I was upset Maynard didn't sing the "vicariousllyyyyy IIIIIIIIII" part again. He said something like "your turn Bonnaroo" and stuck the mic out. That's pretty much the best part of the song so that always has bothered me. Otherwise it was perfect. I knew from previous experience and from reading on here that they usually close with this song, so that was a bummer. Until...

"hey hey hey hey hey...."

I flipped my shit. My mind flashed back how I used this song for a philosophy project not too long ago. It was really interesting seeing all the nice looking hippies sing along with such brutal lyrics; everyone was into it. The "'cause i'm praying for rain.....watch you flush it all away" verse was beautiful. Closing the show with that song was brilliance.

They definitely finished early. I believe they still had 30-35 minutes to fill. But i'm not complaining. It was probably the greatest show i've been to besides Daft Punk (but they are completly different...so I am unsure how to compare) - the vibes, everything...it was just perfect.

The only complaint I have was trying to get out of there after the show. I was still tripping so I thought I was just walking in place, because it seemed like no one was getting anywhere. But eventually I found my way out and lost all of my friends...haha...it's all good though. It took me a bit to get my bearings back.

And if anyone was worrying about if anyone got footage of the show - I saw a guy videotaping the entire thing with a camcorder. There is most certainly tons of footage thats going to be availible within the next few days. Just keep your eyes peeled.

Oh and also --

I was wondering if Russ is a member of this forum, so if you're reading this -- thanks for the great time! Maybe we can go see some more Tool shows in the future, it was a blast.

And I met some guys Saturday morning when I went to go take a shower. I didn't get their names but they said they were from Illinois...we talked about Cochella and Lollapalooza...and Saw haha.

I was the chica with the light blue '06 Bonnaroo shirt and the red/orange Mars Volta baseball style shirt. Also I was wearing a blue bandanna most of the time. So if you talked to someone who fits that description, it was me.

SUCCESS!!