View Single Post
monkeyboy
02-03-2011, 04:35 PM

I take it all back! Now that was a show! It was like a second coming for me, not quite, but almost up with the '97 show @ Festival Hall & '99 Coachella(the Brixton Academy shows in '01 were pretty special too).

First off I love the Myer Music Bowl! It's a phenomenal venue well suited to tool, my only disclaimer being you need to sort yourself out seats in the stalls - forget GA, unless you get there at 2am three days before the show to secure yourself a great position or you're at least 10 foot tall!

We had great seats in row G centre block aisle and managed to snag a last minute seat for the missus pretty much next to me(the seat gods were smiling upon us! praise & thanks to them) through good fortune & timing, managing to buy, swap, sell. Our seats were just at the right height, being about stage level, pretty much perfect, with unobstructed views of Danny, Justin & Maynard(Noticed Rynne taking quite a few photos of the band from just in front, behind and next to us - even with all the passes she still got harassed by security)

From start to finish it was a faultless performance(maybe not flawless, but you'd have to be nitpicking) and thoroughly engaging from both band and audience and the love and appreciation flowed and ebbed between band members and audience. I was pretty much in the moment with the missus, when the lights went down and the opening strains of 3rd eye came through the pa and verberated through my body, I could feel the hairs standing up on my arms, I knew this was going to be a special night for me.

I could go on about highlights, songs, etc, etc, but it was all brilliant! All killer, no filler! And what's funny is that it's the exact same setlist as Brisbane! Ha-ha go figure, but Melbourne was the complete antithesis to my brisbane experience. Though if I did have to mention one it would Carey(or Carey-town as we call him). I'm not saying he's is Tool, but having the opportunity of seeing him this close and experiencing the power of his art and being was truly magnificent(the missus turned to me are around the 3rd song and went the drummer with that OMG expression and I nodded and said, "Yes") Having the aisle seat made it so much easier just to move right into the aisle and rock out, which pretty much meant I was in the aisle the night locked onto danny(&justin) rocking out, neck was a little tender the next morning(thanks to you lied and everything before and after).

There's plenty more I could go on about, the lead up prior, the hectic day(would have been great to come to the bbq, but the day got in the way!), running late, but I managed to get there just on time, take our seats and happily forgot about the shit and rocked out in the moment which was truly great, before coming to an end which was all too soon.

I am very tempted to head to Adelaide and Perth for the rest of the shows, currently experiencing tool withdrawals symptoms I might just see if I can swing it.

I think I may have been pretty high that night, which only enhanced the experience, which was surely a good thing ;^)

Last edited by monkeyboy; 02-03-2011 at 04:37 PM..
Old 02-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #27
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 02.02.11 - Melbourne @ Myer Bowl

I take it all back! Now that was a show! It was like a second coming for me, not quite, but almost up with the '97 show @ Festival Hall & '99 Coachella(the Brixton Academy shows in '01 were pretty special too).

First off I love the Myer Music Bowl! It's a phenomenal venue well suited to tool, my only disclaimer being you need to sort yourself out seats in the stalls - forget GA, unless you get there at 2am three days before the show to secure yourself a great position or you're at least 10 foot tall!

We had great seats in row G centre block aisle and managed to snag a last minute seat for the missus pretty much next to me(the seat gods were smiling upon us! praise & thanks to them) through good fortune & timing, managing to buy, swap, sell. Our seats were just at the right height, being about stage level, pretty much perfect, with unobstructed views of Danny, Justin & Maynard(Noticed Rynne taking quite a few photos of the band from just in front, behind and next to us - even with all the passes she still got harassed by security)

From start to finish it was a faultless performance(maybe not flawless, but you'd have to be nitpicking) and thoroughly engaging from both band and audience and the love and appreciation flowed and ebbed between band members and audience. I was pretty much in the moment with the missus, when the lights went down and the opening strains of 3rd eye came through the pa and verberated through my body, I could feel the hairs standing up on my arms, I knew this was going to be a special night for me.

I could go on about highlights, songs, etc, etc, but it was all brilliant! All killer, no filler! And what's funny is that it's the exact same setlist as Brisbane! Ha-ha go figure, but Melbourne was the complete antithesis to my brisbane experience. Though if I did have to mention one it would Carey(or Carey-town as we call him). I'm not saying he's is Tool, but having the opportunity of seeing him this close and experiencing the power of his art and being was truly magnificent(the missus turned to me are around the 3rd song and went the drummer with that OMG expression and I nodded and said, "Yes") Having the aisle seat made it so much easier just to move right into the aisle and rock out, which pretty much meant I was in the aisle the night locked onto danny(&justin) rocking out, neck was a little tender the next morning(thanks to you lied and everything before and after).

There's plenty more I could go on about, the lead up prior, the hectic day(would have been great to come to the bbq, but the day got in the way!), running late, but I managed to get there just on time, take our seats and happily forgot about the shit and rocked out in the moment which was truly great, before coming to an end which was all too soon.

I am very tempted to head to Adelaide and Perth for the rest of the shows, currently experiencing tool withdrawals symptoms I might just see if I can swing it.

I think I may have been pretty high that night, which only enhanced the experience, which was surely a good thing ;^)

Last edited by monkeyboy; 02-03-2011 at 04:37 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote