4.Intension
5.Right In Two
6.You Lied
7.Schism
8.Lateralus
9.aenema
10.(-)Ions
11.Stinkfist

This was my 4th time seeing Tool. Saw them once in 01, once in 02, once in 07. If I ordered them from best to worst, I would rate this as being somewhere round the middle. My biggest negative is the timing of the tour; unlike other times there was no fresh new Tool album that I've been listening to to get me excited about hearing the brand new songs played live. Oh well maybe that'll happen next year.

Highlights; It was really cool hearing You Lied. Thats a song I never thought I would hear Tool play live at a concert I attended. Third Eye was an awesome opener and is another song that I have never heard them play live before at a show I attended.

Comments on alt versions; I love the "quick" part in schism that they play live. It sounds fantastic. Likewise, the extended section of Stikfist is cool as too. Unfortunately they lose their impact a little for me because I've heard them done this way before. The Lateralus middle section was interesting, not sure if I liked it. I think all the drums stuff was awesome on its own, but it kind of ruined the pacing of the song for me. I mean, that part of Lateralus is the part that really builds just before the rock out ending. The middle part felt like they'd paused the song, did some crazy cool drum stuff, then pressed play again on the rest of Lateralus. As said, didn't mind it but just wished they'd done it in another song maybe.

About the venue; I had GA lawn tickets and was worried that this would suck because I remember people whinging a lot last time about the show that had these tickets, whereas I obliviously had a ball up the front in the seats. Don't know if people will complain this time but the lawn was fine for me, still had a great view, crowd was fun and enthusiastic around me (except the annoying guy who kept whistling with his fingers next to me, blowing out my right ear drum, seriously, you can whistle loud, great, who cares). Sound quality was probably better then last time I saw them at the music bowl, I've heard people I think in the Sydney show complain that Maynard's voice was too low on the mix, he sounded great to me tonight, could hear him very well.

Other comments; Did anyone else notice there was a stuff up towards then end of Right In Two? Think Adam played a part too early, tried to catch up with where Danny was. Thats what I thought went wrong anyway.

Overall; Good show, I had fun, just didn't knock me out. I think to knock me out I would have liked hearing "Jerk Off", "Prison Sex", or even "Pushit" Salival version. Am I dreaming hoping for these things? Probably.

At least this show reminded me why I love Tool so much, and that's definately not a bad thing. Bring on a new album!

Last edited by radiolocke; 02-02-2011 at 05:55 AM..
Old 02-02-2011, 05:52 AM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 02.02.11 - Melbourne @ Myer Bowl

Setlist

1.third eye
2.jambi
3.Vicarious
4.Intension
5.Right In Two
6.You Lied
7.Schism
8.Lateralus
9.aenema
10.(-)Ions
11.Stinkfist

This was my 4th time seeing Tool. Saw them once in 01, once in 02, once in 07. If I ordered them from best to worst, I would rate this as being somewhere round the middle. My biggest negative is the timing of the tour; unlike other times there was no fresh new Tool album that I've been listening to to get me excited about hearing the brand new songs played live. Oh well maybe that'll happen next year.

Highlights; It was really cool hearing You Lied. Thats a song I never thought I would hear Tool play live at a concert I attended. Third Eye was an awesome opener and is another song that I have never heard them play live before at a show I attended.

Comments on alt versions; I love the "quick" part in schism that they play live. It sounds fantastic. Likewise, the extended section of Stikfist is cool as too. Unfortunately they lose their impact a little for me because I've heard them done this way before. The Lateralus middle section was interesting, not sure if I liked it. I think all the drums stuff was awesome on its own, but it kind of ruined the pacing of the song for me. I mean, that part of Lateralus is the part that really builds just before the rock out ending. The middle part felt like they'd paused the song, did some crazy cool drum stuff, then pressed play again on the rest of Lateralus. As said, didn't mind it but just wished they'd done it in another song maybe.

About the venue; I had GA lawn tickets and was worried that this would suck because I remember people whinging a lot last time about the show that had these tickets, whereas I obliviously had a ball up the front in the seats. Don't know if people will complain this time but the lawn was fine for me, still had a great view, crowd was fun and enthusiastic around me (except the annoying guy who kept whistling with his fingers next to me, blowing out my right ear drum, seriously, you can whistle loud, great, who cares). Sound quality was probably better then last time I saw them at the music bowl, I've heard people I think in the Sydney show complain that Maynard's voice was too low on the mix, he sounded great to me tonight, could hear him very well.

Other comments; Did anyone else notice there was a stuff up towards then end of Right In Two? Think Adam played a part too early, tried to catch up with where Danny was. Thats what I thought went wrong anyway.

Overall; Good show, I had fun, just didn't knock me out. I think to knock me out I would have liked hearing "Jerk Off", "Prison Sex", or even "Pushit" Salival version. Am I dreaming hoping for these things? Probably.

At least this show reminded me why I love Tool so much, and that's definately not a bad thing. Bring on a new album!

Last edited by radiolocke; 02-02-2011 at 05:55 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote