View Single Post
Old 01-23-2007, 11:56 PM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/01/21 - Gold Coast, AUS - Parklands

Tool were long expected. Their exultant show once again meant Tool were worth every dime of the long trip down to the Gold Coast. Missing out by 30s on getting into the D, I settled for a centre stage unobstructed view from further back. That had the advantage of being able to 'mosh', have space, a full view of the band and videos and lasers and fireballs, and yet be in the middle of a sea of fans.

I was hoping for Third Eye (the opener in years gone by) but got startled by Stinkfist. Meanwhile the hand sculpture was pumping balls of hot flames 100m into the sky. The mood was set. The movie show didn't begin until 'The Pot' when Maynard was silhouetted by a white screen with smoke balls. The fire-like flame images behind the band during Jambi were captivating, yet almost too true for this drought-parched land. Opiate was a chance to assess toolies from the loyal fan and the loyals were pleasingly plentiful. Sober was important because it made them big back in the early 90s but also it was a gift for the loyal fan. Maynard was the one playing the afore-mentioned keyboard intro into maybe Lateralus. Lateralus was once more the gentle yet explosive musical journey, Vicarious a chance to loosen muscles, and Ænima was simply mindblowing. When 40,000 mostly fans forcefully sing along "fuck all the ...", it is grabbing. Mighty ironic too, it seems that even the BDO fans were more the John Howard voter type (based on pitiful crowd reactions to John Butler) so I guess I have some advice for you little buddies - fuck off this planet you small-minded imbeciles. Ænima was written about you. It was also written about the ebay ticket scalpers that meant that adoring long-term fans who would travel 1700km for a full show missed out on tickets within 20min of sale time and could not/are not willing to pay lowlifes many hundreds of $ to go! You bought those tickets with no intention of going, karma will catch up with you when your balls get smashed. Eat shit.

That aside, there were so many excited fans heading away afterwards, Tool brought much joy to many people, the excitment, emotional release was etched on all faces. If the wind had changed direction... I have now seen Tool play in the ACT (1996 at the ANU bar and I had ticket #1 to the show and at the Royal theatre -not as good as a small venue), Victoria (Lorne in the rain - Sober and its 10 min intro that night transcended everything), NSW (Syd Entertainment where we could not sell on the night a spare ticket for even $20!), and now QLD. Tool appeal indoors and outdoors, in tiny venues and in large arenas, the important thing is getting to see them play, even if it has taken years. Tool thankyou! Look forward to Nov/Dec.
p.s. For future BDOuters - check out the absolutely captivating madness of Snowman in the Converse stage.
OFFLINE |