View Single Post
Old 01-22-2007, 04:55 PM   #18
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/01/21 - Gold Coast, AUS - Parklands

Summary:

- Sound was good considering it was a festival, and the mix improved at the night went on. I was back on the grass-rise and had a great view of the crowd and the stage. The sound was tolerable.

- All songs, save for Vicarious, were about 2-3% slower than their studio versions. I am guessing that this was done intensionally to give the band room for precision for complex phrasing. Pro: deeper and more hypnotic renditions - Con: dampens excitement.

- Rhythmically the band improved as the set progressed. I noticed a few dragging fills and slightly loose phrasing. Just saying "they are human" doesn't quite cut it: performance is mastery over a subtle state. Many young bands accidentally hone this by way of intuition and uncontrolled enthusiasm. Older performers can over-think, under-practice, second-guess or just loose touch with that 'subtle state'. Whether these issues concern Tool can be debated, but their younger recordings seem to hint at the larger pattern. Just how responsible is the band (any band) in the task of achieving that state of flow for maximum performance?

- Maynard's pitch was really spot on for most of the night, which was a blessing: I was fearing that he would struggle through as I have heard him do so in some of the bootleg media. Some of the high chorus work in Sober was not quite par (continuous long high notes is killer on the diaphram). He also only half did the Vicarious crescendo. Touring self-preservation? Nonetheless, I am thankful that he sung at all - singing is the hardest, most subtle, musical task. Bar none.

- Extended versions and imrpovisations were great. Opiate's bridge was double length, where MJK's lines where sung every second chord set instead of on each set. Schism's double time section is very juicy to finally hear. Either Adam or Maynard played a very spacey keyboard part between two songs I can't remember, but it was a nice moment of looking around at the massive crowd and thinking "wow, all these people are experiencing this release: high volume reflective moment". The band's future recordings could certainly benefit from these pad sounds, exploring similar paths they've visited with Reflection and Intension.

- Lightshow was good, moved with the music and mood well.

- Video was probably not as interesting at the Lateralus tour. The angle of attack seems more subtle, although still surreal and sinister. But we've got to ask ourselves the question: are we there to listen to music or to watch TV? A few times in the set I looked away or closed my eyes. Both approaches have advantages and disadvantages. Opiate's take on the Christian cross being repeated in the 8-sacred -geometry patterns was an interesting spin.

- A good strong feel to the setlist. Left feeling satisfied and much thinking material. Not quite as good as 2002's D/R/T epic. I hope they tour here again so we get to see W/10k soak though a large audience.

- Good to see the crowd singing along to most the words. I even saw some people moving well with the time changes. The vibe was great, despite many men and women (boys and girls?) stuck in their little alcohol narrow-verse. I had a good time and it was a rewarding end to a day that is otherwise just a plain struggle.

btw, I also enjoyed My Ninja Lover, and That 1 Guy. Most other acts varied in performance (some being excellent), but being of the 'nothing new' category of style they failed to tickle my fancy.
OFFLINE |